/chapter twenty-four/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 24

Melissa

My due date for this baby was yesterday and I'm still pregnant. I just want him or her to come because I'm tired of being pregnant and I want a good night's sleep sometime soon.

It's 7 a.m. and since it's Saturday, we're eating breakfast together. I decided to make pancakes from scratch—which rarely happens—last night around 11 p.m. when I couldn't sleep.

Chris is writing notes about something, Max is drawing a picture of Superman and Nya and Lulu are discussing some game they were playing, like usual. As for me, I'm just reading. Like usual. I think everyone is just patiently waiting for the baby to come.

We went to the hospital a few nights ago because I thought I was having contractions, but apparently they weren't actual contractions and I dragged three sleepy kids and a tired husband to the hospital at three in the morning for no reason.

Yesterday when I woke Nya up for school she asked if we were going to the hospital again for no reason again before she opened her eyes.

After breakfast, I sit on the back patio while the kids play on the swing set Chris built for them last weekend. The backyard was empty before he did except for the dogs scattered toys.

"Mommy!" Max calls from the swing. "Can you push me?"
"Ask one of your sisters!" I call back.
"They won't!" he yells.

"Chris?" I ask.
He peeks his head out the door. "Yes?"
"Can you push Max on the swing?"
"Sure thing," he says.

He slips on some shoes before he walks out into the yard.

"Nya, Eloise, you couldn't have been bothered to push your brother on the swing?" Chris asks once he reaches the swing set.
"We're playing, daddy. He can do it himself," Nya replies.
"Doesn't matter, if he asks, the least you can do is push him once," Chris tells her.
"Fine," Nya says.
"Thank you," Chris says, then pushes Max so he swings forward.

A smile spreads across Max's face. "Thanks, daddy."
"No problem, Maximilian."
Max laughs. "It's Maxwell."
"I know, buddy," Chris says as he winks at me.

That night, I start at Nya's room while making my way around to say goodnight to all the kids.

"Time for bed, Ny." I open her door to see her looking at her favourite picture book.
"One second," she replies.
I wait for a solid minute. "Okay, let's go. Get in bed."
"Fine." She sets the book down.

I sit on the edge of her bed. "Do you want a song tonight?"
"No," she says. "I'm okay."
I squeeze her foot gently, then stand back up. "All right."

"Wait," she says.
I look down at her.
"Are you my real mom?" she asks.
The question hits me by an invisible force. "No," I say. "I didn't give birth to you, no."
"Then where's the mom that did?"
I hesitate. I shouldn't tell her. That's Chris's thing. "I'll get back to you on that. Okay? Sleep well, Nya."

I leave the room, shutting the door behind me just as Chris is coming up the stairs.

"Hey," he says, reaching the top stair.
"Nya just asked about her real mom," I tell him.
He freezes. "She did?"
"Yes."
"Okay, well, if she asks again, I'll talk to her, but just leave it for now," he says.
"Okay."

I go to Lulu's room next.

"Good night, Eloise," I say after I've sang her a goodnight song.
"Goodnight, mommy," she says.

I stand, and make it to the door before she asks, "Is daddy my real dad?"
I turn and face her. "No, he isn't, but he is your legal guardian."
"So, who's my real dad?" she asks.
"He's out in the world somewhere. If you want to meet him someday when you're older, you can."
She nods. "Okay. Goodnight mommy."
"Goodnight, Lulu. I love you."

So, Nya and Eloise were probably discussing this sometime today. I wonder how they came up with such a question.

Luckily, Max doesn't ask questions.

"Mommy?" Max asks.
"Yes, Max?"
"When is the baby in your stomach coming?"
"Soon, Maxie, soon," I reassure him.
He nods. "Goodnight, mommy,"
"Goodnight, Maxwell." I stand and make it out the door without him asking if Chris is his real dad.

"I wonder how she thought to ask," Chris says when I step inside our bedroom.
"She wasn't the only one," I tell him.
He turns to face me. "The twins too?"
"Just Lulu."

"Those two together are trouble," Chris says.
"I know."

Just then, a stabbing pain races through me. "Ow."
Chris rushes to my side. "What is it?"
"I don't know." I sit down on the bed.

"Do you think these are actually contractions?" he asks.
"Maybe?"
"Okay." He looks around like there'd be answers floating amidst the room.

We decide to go to the hospital, taking the kids to Chyler's place first to stay so they can sleep.

"Thank you," I say to Chyler before we go.
"No problem. Now you go to the hospital before you have that baby on my nice rug," Chyler says.
"Okay," I laugh as I turn to go back in the car.

Once we get to the hospital, the nurse there confirms what I am having are contractions, so the baby could be born soon.

Within a few hours, I have to start pushing.
"You're doing great, Melissa," the doctor says. "I can see your baby's head."

A couple minutes later, I hear the cries of the baby as they place the baby on my chest.