/chapter four/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 4

Chris

I've only seen Melissa like twice when we're not filming this week. And she's been avoiding all conversation with anyone of the crew or cast members.

I've tried calling her a couple times, but I don't want to seem like I'm a stalker or I'm desperate or anything. I just want to make sure she's okay, but I know that she has her husband for that.

It's October 1st today. A new month. Since the first episode of Supergirl Season 2 is premiering in nine days, I'll be on set more since we've gotten to where my character is in more scenes. Scenes with other people besides Melissa and occasionally Chyler.

Nya wakes up early today. I'm not exactly sure why until she tells me her big plans for the day at breakfast.

"I want to go see dogs today, daddy. Please?" Nya asks me.
"Ny. We already have a dog."
"I just want to visit them."
"Daddy can't take care of you, Drift and another dog by himself."

She considers this for a second. "Why do other girls have a mommy and not me?"

This comes up sometimes. I usually tell her that her mom moved away, no questions asked after that. Apparently not today.

"Nya, I've told you this before."
"But why won't she come back?"
"I don't know, sweetheart."
"I want to know."
"I'm sorry, Nya."
"You always are," she says, then jumps down off her chair and walks out of the room.

I sigh, sitting down in a chair, resting my hands on my face. I wish the best for my daughter, I always have, but the one thing I can't seem to give her is a mother figure in her life.

Melissa

My marriage is falling apart and I just found out I'm pregnant. I can't do this mothering thing by myself and I certainly am not looking to share parenting with Blake. Someone who does not want a baby. Not now, at least.

I've been sleeping on the couch the past few nights. And it's not like Blake would notice, he goes to bed before me and wakes up after me.

He clearly feels the same about us. He barely asks me unnecessary questions. Just the basics, like, 'what time will you be home' or 'what should I make for dinner.' Never is it anything like, 'are we going to buy a crib?'

The pregnancy hasn't been mentioned in weeks, like that conversation never happened, but its not going away. I see the little bump of a baby when I take a shower in the mornings or when I'm changing my shirt. It's a little frightening to be completely honest, to have a human growing inside you.

I have to tell the writers and a few crew members on set because I won't be able to do certain things in a couple months. So, that's not great. I really don't want to have to do that because I love doing my job and having to sit out and watch other people do stuff that I could have done fine a few months ago, will bother me.

I get up early, to just get out of this apartment. I have to be at set at 11 a.m. and it's only 7 a.m. now.

I grab my bag and make it quietly out and slowly walk to my car. I have time to waste. It's not the first time this has happened.

Chris

I see Melissa walking to her trailer as I'm making my way to mine.

"Melissa!" I say.
She turns and faces me with a smile. "Hi, Chris."
I stop in-front of her, Nya by my side. "I haven't seen you on set in awhile."
"Oh," she says, a little surprised. "Sorry about that."
"Yeah, no problem. Is everything okay?"
She thinks for a second, considering something. "Everything's great. Thanks for asking," she ends up saying, but there's probably more.
I don't ask. "Okay," I say. "See you later."

She smiles one last time, then continues to walk to her trailer, a couple metres away.

Melissa

Why does Chris have to be so nice? It's making this whole situation worse. Ugh.

I want to tell him. So badly. But, I shouldn't. I know I shouldn't. I haven't told anyone but Blake and Chyler I want to keep it that way until we decided what we're going to do.

I'm not giving up the baby. So, we can either get a divorce or he can learn to want to be a father.

As much as I want him apart of the kids life, if he doesn't want to be a father, a good one even, then he doesn't have to be around the child. And that's that.