/chapter twelve/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 12

Chris

"I thought you said that he told you not to contact him."
"He told me not to contact him, yes, but he never said he wouldn't call me."
"What did he want?"
"He forgot the keys to the apartment and asked if I could come and let him in," Melissa tells me.

I look away for a second.

I take a deep breath. "Did you?"
"No, I was in hair and makeup. I couldn't just leave to let him in the apartment to do who knows what."
"Where'd he go then?" I ask.
"He's going back to Los Angeles. I told him that I didn't want him to see me like this."
"Okay." I nod.

"When are you on?" she asks.
I take my phone out of my pocket and look at the time on my phone. "In like twenty minutes."
"Okay." She pushes herself off the couch. "Can you walk with me to set?"
"Of course."

I pick up Nya in my arms then open the door, Melissa following right behind me.

Melissa

I don't want be at work anymore. For once in the past couple months, I'd rather be at home.

I feel like Blake could show up at any second and see me while I'm pregnant. I'm emotional constantly and that won't be good if Blake is around me.

After what feels like decades, I finish on set and immediately go and get in my car. I just need to get home. I don't feel safe out in the open.

When I reach the floor my apartment is on, I take a deep breath. If Blake is standing right there, I don't know what I'm going to physically do.

Luckily, he's not. I make it all the way down the hall without running into anyone.

There's a note on the door. Melissa, I'll always love you. It reads. Although you don't want me to see you right now. I will see you. I want to be apart of our child's life. Please just give me a chance, Mel. I promise I won't ruin it. Please. I love you. Blake.

I rip the note off the door and open the door furiously. I can't believe this.

Relief hits me like a strong wave once I'm inside and the door is locked. What I've craved since nine this morning when I got his phone call.

I crumble the note and throw it on the ground.

Chris

I honestly feel bad for Melissa. She shouldn't have to go through this while she's pregnant with twins. It's not fair. Then again, the world isn't fair. Which sucks in this case.

I wasn't around Nya's mother while she was pregnant and I never really knew what she had to go through. I guess now I know from seeing Melissa and her children's father trying to stay apart. I wish I knew how to help her. Really. I do.

On the way home from work, I stop at the grocery store. I would like to convince myself that I brought my daughter and me here to get food for our house, but I would then be lying to myself. I've never considered getting something for a woman I care about since I was in a relationship with Nya's mother. But now Melissa is in my life.

I take Nya down the candy aisle, which was a mistake. Obviously.

Quickly, I pick out a few ones I think Melissa might like and Nya chooses the sour watermelons that she loves.

I get a couple more things, for the house. Then we go to check-out.

Once we get in the car, I know that Nya is tired, but I consider stopping by Melissa's apartment on the way home.

No, I think. Give her some space. Nya's mom needed space after you talked with her. Do the same for Melissa. Do it if you care for her.

I start the car and drive straight home. No pit-stops to anyone's apartments today.

Melissa

It's the next morning. I glance at my alarm clock. 7 a.m. I put my pillow over my head and fall back asleep. There's no need for me to be up this early.

I wake up again at 10:30 a.m. This time, I slide the blankets off me and stand up. What should I do today? I ask myself. Shop for baby clothes and other items? Yes. I think.

I get dressed, wash my face, then head into the kitchen to make some breakfast. Some cereal at least.

Around 1 p.m. there's a knock at my door. Oh no, I think. Not Blake.

I slowly make it to the door and look through the peephole. It's not Blake. It's Chris.

I open the door slightly. "Hey."
"Hi," he says, shyly. "Did I interrupt something?"
I open the door a little bit more. "No, no. I was just making some lunch."
"Okay. Good." He sounds nervous. "Well, I brought you these." He stretches out his hand which is holding a few bags of candy and a reusable grocery bag with baby clothes in it.
I take them from his hand. "Thanks."
"Your welcome," he says with a smile.

"Are you off to work?" I ask.
"No, actually. I was just going to take Nya to the park that's down the street," he says, gesturing to Nya, his daughter, who is holding his hand with all the grip she can muster.
"Oh," I say.
"How's your day going?" he asks.
"Slow, but that's a good thing."
"Probably," he says. "Well, if you want some company, just call or text me."
"Will do." I smile.

"Bye, Melissa," he says with a wave as he backs away from the door slowly.
"Bye, Chris," I say, then close the door.