/chapter twenty/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 20

Melissa

"You're pregnant. About eleven weeks."

I kind of just sit there, no emotion showing on my face. At least I don't think there is.

The doctor hands me the paper and says congratulations. I get up in a daze as I walk to my car. What am I supposed to do? I can't tell Chris. Not the day before we're getting married.

I mean, we talked about having kids, just not this soon. Not right now. I can't believe I was so careless to let this happen in the first place. We already have our hands full with three kids. Now four? I lean back in my seat. Take a deep breath, I tell myself. It'll be fine. Chris won't leave you alone. He won't.

I drive to the wedding store after sitting in the car for almost thirty minutes, debating on whether or not I should tell Chris now or wait until after the wedding. In the end, I decide to wait until after the wedding. I don't want him to feel stressed out or any other emotion then what a person should feel on their wedding day. I'll deal with those emotions.

When I get home, Chris is lying on the floor with all three kids sitting around him as he reads them a book.

They stop listening when they see me standing at the door. "Mommy!"
At once, all three kids have their arms wrapped around my legs.
"Hi guys," I say as I ruffle their hair gently with my free hand.

Chris turns his body to look in our direction. "How'd it go?"
"Good," I say as I lift my other arm to show the dress and tuxedo covered in two bags. "I got them."
"Great," he says, pushing himself off the ground.

I start moving towards the stairs, so the kids let go of my legs quickly.

"I'm just going to put it upstairs. You guys finish your book, okay?" I say.
"Okay," they chorus, then run back over to Chris.

I head up the stairs slowly. I'm finding it hard to move now that I know what I wish I didn't know until maybe a few days from now at the least. I shouldn't have gone to the doctors. I should have just ignored the pain and moved on.

I put the dress and tux in our closet, then lay down on the bed to, sleep, maybe?

I wake to Chris shaking me. "Hey. You are definitely not going to sleep tonight anymore. It's almost five p.m. Melissa."
I rub my eyes gently. "I've been asleep for that long?"
"Yes," he assures me.
"Great."

He extends his hand and I reach out to grab it.
"You were gone for awhile this morning, where did you go?" he asks.
I think up a quick something to stand in for my doctors appointment. "Well, I had to wait for the dress and tux for a little longer than planned, then I went to get some breakfast."
"Okay," is all he says.

I stay sitting on the bed. "Have you had dinner yet?"
"No, not yet."
"I'll make some then," I offer.
"It's good. I'll do it," he says.
"I just woke up," I remind him.
"I have a dinner planned. The kids missed you today."
"All right then." I get up and walk out the doorway, then down the stairs to the living room where the kids are playing with LEGO.

I sit on the couch, resting my hands on my stomach.

Chris

I lay awake all night with excitement for the day I've been waiting for to finally come.

My alarm goes off at 4:30 a.m.

I slowly and quietly push the blankets of myself, then walk down the stairs to make some coffee.

About five minutes later, I hear little feet padding down the stairs. Nya comes walking into the kitchen.
"What are you doing up, Ny?" I ask.
"Can't sleep," she says as she walks up beside me.
I pick her up and set her in my lap. "Why's that?"
"I don't know," she whispers, resting her head on my chest.

We sit there together for a couple minutes until I realize that she's fallen asleep in my arms. I smile. I miss these moments with her. For the first two years of her life, it was just her and I and now we've got Melissa and the twins too. Which is good.

At 6:00 a.m. Max and Lulu come down the stairs to join Nya, who is still sleeping and me.

"Good morning you two," I say. "Did you sleep well?"
They both nod.
"Good."

I lay Nya on the couch in hopes that she'll sleep a little longer, then I go back to the kitchen to put together cereal for the twins.

"What kind do you want, Max?" I ask.
"Cheerio," he says.
"Lulu?"
"Captain Crunch," she says.
I pour the cereal in their bowls, then set them down in-front of them.

"Thank you," Lulu says, rubbing her eyes with her non-broken arm.
"You're welcome."
"Thanks," Max says, following his sister in manners.
"You're welcome, Max," I say, ruffling his hair.

I check on Nya quickly—still sleeping—then I go up stairs to see if Melissa is awake yet.

She's sitting in bed, reading a book.
"Good morning," I say.
She looks up with a smile. "Good morning."
I sit at the end of the bed. "It's the big day."
"It is," she says, the smile not leaving her face.

"Nya didn't sleep last night, so she's now sleeping on the couch. The twins are having cereal for breakfast in the kitchen," I update.
"Okay. I'll be down soon."
"Alright," I say, standing up, then gently kissing her before going back downstairs.