4

I grabbed a suture kit, carefully numbing the area that the cut was on.

"You can sleep" I spoke to her, seeing her visibly fighting sleep, which I knew was the medicine.

"I'm okay" she responded quietly.

As I started her stitches, almost five minutes into it she was asleep.

I focused on keeping them neat, trying to make it the smallest scar possible.

"Doctor Johnson, you know our nurses usually do stitches?" Doctor Irwin's voice spoke.

"Yes sir- she was just scared and wanted me to do them- so I agreed" I spoke towards him.

I felt him behind me, but I didn't move.

"Why did you let Stapleton take your credit?" He spoke, making me almost freeze.

"What-" he cut me off.
"You were the first one to move when you saw someone- I knew good a well you got a patient because I watched you grab her gurney- I watched him walk into your room after he fell behind, but yet when he said the opposite- you didn't say a single word"

I finished her stitches- cutting the end of it.

I turned to him, seeing him looking to me, waiting for a response.

"I'm not here to make enemies" I responded simply.

"And you don't have to make enemies" he spoke back.

"But in that process, don't let them walk all over you. Some people take kindness for weakness, don't let them think you're weak." He spoke.

I gave a small nod in response

He glanced to the patient.

"Beautiful stitches, but leave that to the nurse next time, those guys are getting ahead of you, don't let them assist on a surgery before you get to."

I followed him down a few familiar hallways before someone stopped him.

"The ER is empty, where are you heading?" The male spoke to Irwin.

"Well, I guess we're heading to the nurses station" Irwin responded.

"Your guys giving your girls a hard time?" Irwin spoke to the man- making me know this man was also an attending.

"No- not at all, they're all pretty much sticking together, why?" He spoke.

"Mine can not relate."

i want to go home