7

After about three more rounds of the guys not knowing their shit, to say the least, Irwin wasn't happy.

"Every year myself and another attending picks an intern to scrub in on a surgery with us- which is a great experience, I was going to decide with Doctor Hood at the end of the day from my interns, but there doesn't seem to be much of a choice considering the males lack of knowledge in the group"

"Therefore, Doctor Johnson in an hour I will find you to show you scrub in skills and you will assist Doctor Hood and I in a general surgery, congratulations." He smiled, sending me the smallest nod.

I didn't want to brag- I didn't even want to gloat, but I did let the smallest smile come onto my face.

We ended up in the pit doing stitches all day- which didn't suck but it wasn't fun.

Until I saw Doctor Irwin enter.

"Doctor Johnson, it's your shining moment"

I followed him to the scrub room, where we both put our hair into surgical caps before putting a mask around our necks and washing our hands quickly.

We kept our hands wet, lifting them from the water and looking to each other.

"There's tons of people in the gallery here to watch you, to see if you choke or not- don't choke, do not give those guys a reason to make fun of you, are we clear?" He spoke, stepping almost a foot from my own body.

"I won't" I nodded.

"I know you won't."

I followed him in, I was handed a rag, which I dried my hands with.

We put the mask completely over our faces before nurses assisted in helping us put our hands into gloves.

I was nervous, but excited.

"Doctor Johnson this is Doctor Hood, Doctor Hood this is my number one intern, Payton Johnson" Irwin introduced.

"Nice to meet you, Doctor Johnson, lets see what kind of skills you have, on my right hand side please"

I did as said, stepping right beside him, seeing him immediately ask for a scalpel before cutting into the mans abdomen.

From that point on, I was on a high.

I got to assist in clamping, suctioning, stitching- everything I've wanted since I was my sisters age.

I answered every question they shot at me without hesitation.

"And the bleeding is stopped" Hood announced as we both pulled away- blood on our hands, but we weren't phased.

"Well Doctor Irwin, you did get very lucky- I wish I could've claimed her myself"

We left the nurses to close, snapping our gloves off at the door along with all of the sanitary gear.

We scrubbed our hands, Hood and Irwin talking but I wasn't even listening- I was on cloud nine

"Doctor Johnson" I snapped out of it, looking to them as I dried my hands.

"Let's give those boys another incentive, shall we?"

Irwin and I went to the guys who were sitting at the nurses station.

"Congratulations" one I didn't know spoke.

"Thank you" I smiled back.

"Everyone saw how amazing that was?" Irwin asked, earning nods from everyone.

"Tomorrow you will have yet another opportunity- if you all don't go home and study Doctor Johnson will claim the opportunity- which will continue until everyone steps the game up, are we clear?"

"Crystal" Stapleton spoke