Chapter 2

The knock on the bedroom door has me stirring from my slumber. How long was I asleep for? Wiping the sleep from my eyes with the back of my hand. I can't see yet through the blur but I can smell Scott's peppery scent. "I was not sleeping." Is all I can slur out. Light laughter is heard, "sure you weren't Sleeping Beauty and that pool of drool is from someone else." He points to where my head rested on the blanket, I didn't even make it onto the pillow.

Didn't realize I was so tired.

His tone is easy going but I know him, he isn't here to make jokes or hang out like we did when we were younger. "Chey send you?" I ask him before he tells me. Nodding to me he puts his hands in his pockets and takes a leisurely step into my room, looking around, taking it in. "Been a while" he whispers and I nod back, looking at my night table with my old alarm clock. My eyes focus out the window towards the fire pit.

A lot of memories for me here. Could I really leave all that behind?

I don't know if I can.

Guess it's time I male up. "I'm sorry for how I acted last night. It was out of line and if I want respect I have to give it." It's not easy to apologize when I feel I was wronged. I shouldn't have been an ass about it but last night shouldn't have even been a thing. It's also not his fault though, he is only trying to stay neutral in this. Scott is pulled in two separate directions because Cheyenne and I can't see eye to eye.

He is still looking over at the items on my desk. A small notebook I use to doodle in sits near the edge. A pen holder with a few pens, pencils and an eraser on the other side. Next to it is a knocked over picture frame from graduation. Simpler days that I use to pray would be over with, now I wish I had those days back.

He picks up the picture frame looking it over before placing it back upright. Clearing his throat but still not saying anything so I look back out the window trying not to focus on any one thing in particular. He takes that as his cue to say the things that need to be said but he doesn't want to speak aloud.

Scott has never had to be Alpha towards me. Has never had to use a tone or have these conversations. It's awkward and I'm not proud to have put him in this position with my actions.

"Kirsten is planning on leaving early next week, either Monday or Tuesday. Tomorrow Chey wants us to take them and the pups to that wildlife refuge north of the town. Have an outing together." He speaks low, pausing; hesitating. "I'm not saying you have to court her or take her out on more dates I'm just asking you to try and see if this is something that is best for you. You may just like her, you might not, but you won't know for certain until you at least try." He is trying to reason with me. Get me to see things from their perspective but all I feel is the tightening noose of conformity.

I have nothing to say- just continuing to look out the window, chomping my teeth together behind my closed mouth. Leg quivering. I need to run.

Feeling the bed dip down beside me, I exhale slowly. "Do this for me and I'll allow you a month to a month and a half to go looking where ever you want but you have to actually try and get to know her. Look at it as making a friend." He jerks my shoulder with his own. I can't hold back my snicker. "Yea bro, I'm such a charismatic male. Friendship comes naturally to me." The sarcasm flows like a second language for me. We both know I'm horrible at it, my juvenile years are proof of that.

He slaps my back with a light laugh. "You missed training this morning ya know." His change in the subject doesn't go unnoticed. It was getting hard to breathe in the tension and discomfort.

Scratching my chin through my beard in mock thought. "ya, suppose I did, wonder if the Alpha noticed." That earns a guffaw from Scott.

"Pretty sure if I dragged you to the training field Valorie would have my head on a platter for dinner. She gave me an ear full when I came here to speak with you." He shutters before tugging at his right ear. Grams is a hard ticket.