Chapter 5

Hands on the steering wheel I am too shocked to move. Hearing the tap on my window brings me back to reality. I'm surprised to see Scott standing there instead of Kirsten. My mood is too good to question it. Rolling down the window Scott eyes me with a sly grin, "get out and let me drive so you can daydream like a little female." Climbing back out I let him have the keys. He has a point, probably better if I don't drive. My adrenaline is pumping. Body humming. I'm too amped up to concentrate.

Incredible.

We both switch spots and quickly leave. I notice he doesn't head towards home instead opting to go to the nearby town instead. He chuckles as I look out the window not able to focus on anything as we pass by. My mind hasn't stopped reeling over her. Perfection. There is no other word that can describe my mate.

Scott's voice drifts into my thoughts bringing my attention back to him. "Cheyenne is pissed at the both of us now so apparently I better stay away for the day. Figured I could get something good to eat for once while we have a 'talk'." He is telling me this as we pull into the parking lot of a truck stop with a restaurant. It's crowded enough that we can have a private conversation without the worry of others listening or the need to whisper. I grab the paperwork and take it with me to fill out while we eat.

Sitting ourselves in a back corner booth the waitress quickly takes our drink orders and I ask to borrow a pen. I start to fill out the basic information glancing up to Scott for our 'talk' as he put it, "alright, so what are you being made to speak with me about now, Alpha?" Wiggling my eyebrows at him. He humours me with a hardy laugh, his grin never leaving his face. It's obvious that he is genuinely happy for me.

The waitress returns with our drinks asking if we are ready to request food. I order whatever the special is not able to focus on the menu. My thoughts keep drifting back to her tanned face and full lips, her storming grey eyes demand my attention when she speaks. Curves aching for me to touch. There is something about her, I want to unravel her slowly, no rush.

Waiting for the waitress to finally leave Scott picks up his soda and tips it to me. "Congratulations." I pick up my water and clink it off his before taking a sip, eyeing Scott. "So now that we have the sunshine out of the way..." leaving the sentence open for him to catch onto. He scratched the side of his jaw with a sigh. "You know what, fuck it. All I want to know is how you are going to make this work with your schedule for training and getting the pack ready for the winter months. You have duties you cannot neglect. The pack is counting on us this year to get through the cold months, they have predicted a harsh winter. We may be stuck on the pack grounds for days at a time. Cabins need repairs, wood stacked, preserves counted for. What's the end game for this? She is a human, how are you going to explain this?" He asks me the same questions I have begun to ask myself. I don't have answers for him, not yet. He sighs again when I don't respond "I just want to know where we go from here." He tries to comfort me. It does. This isn't going to be easy and it's nice to have someone.

It seems like he is happier, lighthearted for once during these discussions. Finally speaking how he feels. We both are. Cheyenne pushes the matter between us, not liking the arrangement we already had in place before her. She has discussed her friend two years ago when Kirsten mentioned possibly getting out there again. This has been years planning lost for them.

The waitress is once again at our table with our food placing the plates down directly on the paperwork. "Can I get you, boys, anything else?" She asks fluttering her lashes at us. "No," I tell her gruffly and push my food out of the way to read the papers. Scott is already eating his lunch like a starved animal.