What Exactly Is A Smile.jpg?

Smile Dog's story consists of a classic horror set-up – an amateur writer visits the house of a lady who supposedly has a story for which he can borrow from. Rather than speak, however, the lady has locked herself up in her room, crying and ranting about nightmares and visions and various other problems. All of these center around a floppy disk she had been given that contain the image smile.jpg – which is smile.dog. Other causes of this have cropped up...

Viewing this image incites insanity, and no copy of the exact image exists on the web though likenesses of it do. The true image of smile.jpg is recognized due to the effect it has on the viewer – that is, they wind up dead. Attaching the file – that is, spreading the word, is the only way to save oneself from the smile.dog that appears in one's dreams demanding to spread the word. Some say that the original legend began with an image of the devil.

Smile Dog is the titular main antagonist of the Creepypasta story of the same name; "Smile Dog". He is a supernatural entity that takes the form of a demonic husky and forces people into spreading his image all over the internet, otherwise, he will kill them.

POWERS AND ABILITIES

Smile Dog is able to cross over into dreams and turn them into nightmares where he's able to render the victim helpless, unable to speak, and tells them what he wants. He's also able to shape-shift into more of a demonic version of himself used primarily to terrify and force his victims into doing what he says. In some versions of the story, he's able to cross over to the real world and murder the victim, dragging their souls down with him to Hell, which is believed to be his place of origin.

FACTS

-The original author of the story still remains unknown.

-The exact origin of the Smile.jpg Creepypasta is unknown but is rumored to have been first posted on the /x/ (paranormal) board on the imageboard 4chan in 2008. According to the occult-related blog Aether Paranormal, the earliest known image tied to the story is the one shown above.