Chapter 3:When it all began

It was around 89 degrees outside but it really felt like it was 100° in this heat of May. I have waited for this day for so long but it's like the universe was doing everything in its power to make sure it ended up terrible.

The bus was 10 minutes late. The sun was beating down on me so hard I could feel a headache coming. The humidity was downright disrespectful to my hair. And on top of that, I didn't have enough money for food.

I sigh as my stomach furiously grumbles have only fed on a slice of peanut butter toast. Finally I decide to at least get a glass of water to quench my thirst.

I stand up from the bus bench and make my way inside a nearby restaurant. Sitting down, I waited till the waiter, a tall redhead, would stop flirting with a table of men so she could take my order. Well the glass of water that is. I pull out Pride and Prejudice from my purse and opened it up getting ready to read it for the 3rd time.

I almost finish chapter 14 when the waiter finally comes over and I order my water. By chapter 18 I finally notice my water had not been brought to me when a man with dark sunglasses dressed in an Armani suit comes over.

He sets a tray of large fries, a burger and a vanilla milkshake in front of me, "Buon pomeriggio tesoro." He holds his hand out to shake mine but instead pastes a soft kiss on it, his lips lingering for a bit. Slowly he removes his dark shades revealing stormy grey eyes that send a bolt of electricity up my body as a soft gasp leaves my lips.

I frown although a deep blush has invaded my cheeks and I push the tray back to him. "Sir...", I exclaim overwhelmed.

"You're hungry Bella please eat." He pushes the tray back in front of me, slips his glasses back on and tips his hat. "Giovanni".

***

As I enter my apartment I am still in shock. I have run over the whole scene in my head about a million times and each time I vividly could feel the bolt of electricity that shook my body when I first saw those stormy grey eyes.

I take a sip from the smoothie in order to cool myself down and quickly dial Lace's number.

She picks up on the second ring, "Lace! You won't believe what I'm about to tell you girl!"

Even miles away I can see her eyes widen.

"Good, bad, a rant or tea?" she asks.

I shake my head, "none."

I now can see her eye's narrow, "girl what? Uh, this better not be about your book. My parents have people over for dinner and I told them it was my professor calling."

I laugh, "Lace baby you have to tell them the truth sooner or later."

She sighs, "It'll come out when it has too. Besides, somethings are better left untold for the better. Anyways, tell me what happened. "

After I finish telling her the whole story, she has me repeat it again from the time I woke up to when I got home. Then she makes me repeat the details of the kiss on my hand, and the electric shock I had felt in my body.

"Oh my gosh Sof...how do you feel?"

I look out the window, "Besides being shook, I'm a little annoyed but I can't lie and say I don't feel...attracted to him. But I mean every girl that has seen him probably has so it's whatever."

She laughs, "Yeah but he didn't buy food for any other girl in there but you. Sofia darling, you need to stop letting what happened with 'him' bring fear in you, that stops you from letting other men in. It's not fair to them but most of all to you."

I cross my arms ever so stubborn, "Lace, just because a guy shows interest in me doesn't mean I have to reciprocate or appreciate it. He bought me the food out of his own wanting, and what's to say he hasn't bought another girl food. And this has nothing to do with that man. I'm playing defense in this world of love. Who do I look like to let someone's dusty son break my heart LeLe?"

She sighs softly, "I know Sof, I'm just saying maybe you should try playing offense now. How are you gonna win if you don't score? I have to go back down now, sleep safely baby girl."

I rub my eyes, "You too love, I'll remember to pray for your runway tonight. I already know you'll knock them all off there heels tomorrow."

"Thanks Sofia, I love you girl."

***

The next week on Wednesday I got a call from my father. It was the first time in years since my mothers death that I've spoken to him. We-well mostly he made the small talk and I mhm'd to whatever he said. I just wasn't ready to let him back in yet. And trust me even picking up the phone was progress.

I straighten out my uniform. On Monday I had received a call from Kings Inn where I had applied for about a year ago. I was surprised at first but quickly told them that I would take the job.

Unless Oprah was gonna somehow find out about the sad story of a hopeless girl from New York and decide to pay my bills for the rest of my life, I didn't have a choice.

When I finally got to the Inn, I was surprised to see that the inn was smaller than the pictures online. It was a cute homely hotel with pink carpet and daisies on each windowsill.

I smile and lean down to smell a daisy. "That'll be 2 pieces of candy miss." I jump and turn around to be greeted with big green eyes.

"Oh...my", I squat down and take both of her small hands in mine, "and what might your name be missy".

Her eyes light up, "Samantha but almost everyone calls me Sammy-but you-cause you have to earn it".

I open my mouth but she holds up a chubby finger. She tilts her head to the side as if trying to solve a math problem. "OK I think you can call me Sammy know".

I widen my eyes, "Well, wow, I'd be honored to and you my dear can call me Sophia".

She gushes, "Well in that case, you don't have to pay me back anymore".

I raise an eyebrow, "And for what exactly do I owe you candy for?"

She points to a bright pink post-it note that's hung low enough only kids below 45 inches could see. The note has, 'smwel fwowrs = Candy.

I smile and pull out a mint, "I'll give you something anyways, will you accept a mint".

She shrugs her bony shoulders, takes the mint from my hand, opens it then pops it in her mouth. After a minute of getting used to the taste she nods.

"Samantha! See I told you Gust, she's always misbehaving. Where on Earth have you been..sweetheart" We turn around to see an angry looking middle age women with a tall greying lanky man beside her.

Sammy lights up and takes a beeline for the man, "Daddyyy".

He chuckles and picks her up, "How've you been baby girl, huh? I hope you haven't been trouble for Marisa".

She shakes her head furiously, "No daddy, I've been a good girl, just like you told me too".

He beams at her then sets her down, "I left a little something under your pillow".

He watches as she runs off till she's out of sight then turns to me with an extended hand, "You must be Sophia, I'm Gust".

I nod, "The pleasures all mine, you have beautiful daughter".

He chuckles and lightly strokes his beard, "I know, I love her to death".

At the corner of my eye I catch Marissa rolling her eyes, "You signed up to work at the front desk right?"

I nod and she waves for me to follow her, "Alright I'll show you how things work".

Thoughts on Marissa?

Remember to Vote :)