Chapter 39: A Dress fit for a Princess

"Giovanni?"

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you up fancy face. Someone's at the door".

My vision clears up and I see him pulling on a pair of grey sweatpants not bothering with a shirt.

He unlocks the door and Lucia and Mary barge in. The two excited girls climb onto the bed jumping with Christmas joy.

Mary tugs my arm, "Wake up Sophia Santa brought us gifts!"

Giovanni told me that although today was Christmas, the family will be opening gifts tomorrow morning due to the hectic party this evening.

Giovanni closes the door and slides back in bed pulling me to his chest.

"Don't worry cousin, Santa is not cold hearted he was nice enough to leave you coal".

The girls burst out in laughter and Giovanni scowls, "I already told you Santa isn't real-".

I slap his chest, "Don't listen to him Mary-".

"You better listen to me Mary because I'm the one that buys those gifts and I refuse to be discredited by some old man".

Lucia rolls her eyes, "Of course, how dare old Saint Nicholas discredit Giovanni Anastasi".

I pull Mary to me, "Believe in whatever you want to sweetheart".

The little girl smiles at me, "Last night I prayed that Less would come home. Do you think he will Sophia?"

I move away from Gio to squeeze her small body, "Miracles happen everyday".

"I don't believe in miracles".

I tap her nose, "You were a miracle. Waking up today is a miracle. We have 10,000 reasons to be thankful everyday".

Lucia checks her phone, "Mama just sent a text saying we have to get ready to go dress shopping in 15 minutes".

Giovanni gets up lifting Mary over one of his shoulder and grabs Lucia's arm.

"That means that your time visiting us is up unless you want to go to the ball in sweatpants. And next time be sure to schedule an appointment for your next visit".

The girls roll their eyes and run downstairs eager to go shopping.

***

Although I had brought 3 fancy dresses, The women convince me to get a real ballgown dress in honor of my first ball.

Mary choose a hot pink gown, Lucia a wine red. The older women choose more of a conservative look but nevertheless still looked beautiful.

I walked towards the back of the store and my eye caught a sparkling purple ballgown dress. Grabbing it I went into the dressing room to try it on. It had spaghetti straps, a sweetheart neckline that pushed up my breast a bit then it puffed out making me feel like a Disney princess.

I release a quiet squeal at how good I looked.

Wait Sophia.

I look down and check the price tag. $6000.

"Haha you all thought! 6 freaking thousand dollars! Am I joke to you!".

I look back at the mirror, "whatever she isn't all that anyways".

I look away knowing my lie was not making me feel any better about leaving the dress.

Pulling out my phone I snap a picture so I can always go back and admire the dress.

"Sophia?"

I open the door and Lucia comes in, "Holy cow you look great!"

I smile, "Nothing cocky, but I KNOW RIGHT!"

She calls her mother and aunt and they all agree that the dress is gorgeous on me.

"OK let's go pay".

I frown my face heating up, "Actually I want to look at another dress".

Viola shakes her head, "Nonsense we will not leave the store without this dress. You look breathtaking my dear".

I sigh, "And so does the price tag. I don't have this type of money. Maybe some other time when I become a millionaire I'll come back for it. But for now I have to pick something that won't break my wallet".

The women spend the next 10 minutes begging to buy the dress for me but I stand my ground and refuse.

I just met them so I'm not comfortable with any of them paying for the dress. I would feel like I owe them for it. And not gonna lie I have a bit of a pride problem. I have been independent all my life, letting them pay for it will also make me feel like a charity case. In the end, I settle for a classic red evening gown that wouldn't hurt my wallet too bad.

When we get back home we have about four hours till the guest begin to arrive. The women in the family come over with their daughters to help with the cooking.

Lucia, Mary and I are useless due to all the women already helping so we decide to put on a Christmas movie.

After the movie ends I head to my bedroom so I could start preparing for the party.

Caught off guard I gasp. There laying on my bed was the sparkling purple dress. Running to it I pick up the single Iris that was left on top of the dress.

I shake my head Lucia probably told Giovanni and he got it for me. Pulling out my phone I was about to tell him that he shouldn't have gotten it but then I see the time. I now have less then an hour to get ready.

"Nice Soph, you always do things last minute".

I had shaved everywhere last night so I just take a quick shower. I had planned to attempt a wash and go on my 4b/4c bra strap length hair but now I see that that style doesn't fit this dress

Rapping a white towel on my wet body I grab the blow drier and flat iron so I could straighten my hair. After it was bone straight I brushed it up to the top of my head for a high ponytail.

"Sophia!"

"I'm in the bathroom!"

Lucia appears at the door with a straightener in hand, "Wow your hair looks so good!"

I smile, "Thank you, I just need one more Bobby pin...there my ponytail will hold for a week at least".

We laugh and she hands me her flat iron, "I need help".

By the time I finish Lucia's hair I have 10 minutes to be downstairs. The party was taking place on the East wing so a driver was taking Lucia and I over there. Viola left with all the women taking the food over and so they could greet all the guests.

Slipping on my dress I pick up Giovanni's call as Lucia zips it up for me.

"Are you alright darling? "

I smile, "Yes and we are about to leave I promise".

I can hear him chuckling, "I should have told mama to take you two with her knowing you both are terrible at keeping time".

Lucia rolls her eyes as she slips on her heels.

"Alright we're gonna head to the car see you there".

I go to end the call but he speaks up again.

"And Sophia...stay away from table 6".

I frown he wasn't asking me, he was demanding that I stay away from that table. I open my mouth to ask him why but he has already ended the call.

Thoughts on why she has to stay away? Also, we are so close at 1k!!! I didn't think I would even get this far not gonna lie. Please vote my loves!