Chapter 52: Corporal Punishment

It's been 2 weeks since Valentina's death.

Alessandro had her body flown to Spain as requested by her parents. They buried her in their backyard next to her grandparents.

The only sound you could hear during the service was the cry of a heartbroken mother. Even the noisy twins were silent as if they could sense something was wrong. Alessandro held both of them in his arms refusing permission to let anyone else hold them.

He was scared, they were all he had left and I think a part of him felt guilty for not being there.

An older woman hands me a plate of food and points to Alessandro. Turning around I see Sienna feeding Antonio a bottle as well. I take the plate and walk to where he sat. He keeps his eyes on his daughter who was feeding from a bottle of formula.

"Breast milk is healthier for the baby, the young lady in the blue top over their told me she would gladly breastfeed the twins...anyways you can decide what you think".

I crouch down in between his legs, "I brought you some food Less. I can hold the baby so you can eat".

He finally lifts those sky blue eyes that were now bloodshot and I also see he has bags under them from lack of sleep.

"You're not alone Alessandro, we are all here to help you. I'm here to help you".

He looks at the plate in my hands and I set it down on the table then cautiously reach for the baby. He doesn't stop me so I cradle her as she continues to drink. I don't want to push his limit so I sit at the seat next to him stroking Esperanza's hair.

Less doesn't eat but he drinks a whole glass of water which is progress.

I follow his eyes that were watching a group of kids playing hopscotch. They laugh because they're kids and could not understand that somebody just died.

Oh to be young and innocent.

After five minutes pass Alessandro takes the baby from my arms without a word. He then gets up and takes Antonio from Sienna and returns back to his seat with a baby asleep on each shoulder.

Valentina's father watches him bitterly and her mother looks longingly at the babies. I think back to the heated words the two exchanged with Alessandro when they first tried to hold the twins.

That's when it began to make sense. Less was scared they would try to take them from him.

And I was right. Right before we left Valentina's mother approached him and grabbed the arm of Antonio. I couldn't understand all of what she was saying but I caught the gist. She wanted the twins to stay for a few more months.

Alessandro shook his head aggressively and pushed her away as he spoke back harshly in Spanish.

Valentina's father moves to punch Alessandro in the face but a man holds him back. Giovanni calmly speaks to the couple and Valentina's mother falls to the ground sobbing.

Less takes that as his chance to escape and runs to the car. I grab Beatrice and Lucia as the shouting gets louder and we make our way to the car as well.

Less hands me the twins as I sit down and he goes back inside the house. Knowing how overprotective Less is, he probably went back for Mary. And he does. He comes back a few minutes later with Mary in his arms and Sienna and Lace at his heel.

Giovanni climbs in and the driver and reverses out of the driveway in speed.

I hand Antonio to Sienna so that I have a stronger grip on Esperanza. Driving in a limo that had no boosters was beyond dangerous. This was not a good idea at all.