27 - A Monster at the Burrow

Hermione's hand reaches towards the weathered brass doorknob, Draco coming to a halt behind her. Her fingertips brush against the cool metal just as a sudden force burst through the closed door, the wooden door splintering from the hinges. Draco's arms wrap around Hermione's shoulders, pulling her in front of him, his body twisting sheltering her body from the flying wood with his own.

Hermione glances over Draco's arms which were curled around her tightly, as a black wisp floated just a couple of yards from them.

"Well, if it isn't the little cowardice pup." A disembodied voice taunts.

Draco's face hardens at the familiar voice, earning a chuckle from the dark wisp.

"How does it feel to murder your own father?"

"I didn't..." Draco sneered.

"Are you okay?" Ron's voice comes up from behind as he exits the splintered doorway.

Hermione straightens. "Yeah, are you?"

"For the most part," Ron replied, his wand drawn toward Greyback who had just fully solidified in front of them.

"You took something from me," Greyback sneered, "I want it back."

Hermione and Draco's wand point steadily toward the werewolf.

"We have nothing that belongs to you!" Hermione speaks.

"Oh, I think you do."

The sounds of stomping feet begin to sound off behind the three, as Harry and Bill appear wands at the ready.

"Greyback!" Bill's eyes narrowed as his mouth contorts into a sneer.

Greyback's eyes widen in recognition upon seeing Bill, his lips parting in a knowing and mocking smile.

Pushing his way to the front, wand drawn, Bill stared at his old foe. Greyback let out another disdainful laugh before evaporating into a black mist. Flowing toward the group, he loops around Draco's body thrice. "Your aunt is going to be so relieved to know where you've been hiding!" the werewolf's voice carries before the black vapor flies off into the distance with great speed.

"Where's that Horcrux?" Draco turns to Harry. "We have to destroy it immediately it's our only chance in beating her."

"I've contacted the Headmaster," Harry informed.

"Headmaster? What for?"

Hermione answered, "a Horcrux can only be destroyed by certain means. One of those being goblin forged metals. Which so happens to be an artifact in Hogwarts."

"Is everyone okay?" Ginny comes running out completely out of breath.

Hermione nodded, "you?"

"We're all safe and accounted for, but mother got a pretty good gash on her head when Greyback came crashing in."

Together they flooded into the room, taking in the extensive damage that was left behind. Furniture overturned, papers were strewn about the floor, and the Weasley's family clock shattered into splinters of wood. Molly sat on the floor, holding the arm that had once alerted Fred's whereabouts, the gash upon her forehead allowing a steady stream of thick red blood to make a path down from her temple to her chin where she wiped it absentmindedly with the back of her hand.

Draco's fists clenched, experiencing the destruction from the other side. Shaking his head, and tightening his jaw he knelt beside Molly, placing a tender hand on her shoulder. Hermione stared as Draco began to help Molly up, her heart beating with his actions.