8

Hello, beautiful readers!

Sorry that it took me a millennium to update. I just want the best story possible for you guys!

TO THE SIDE IS ADAM.

Go ahead and vote now. (:

Enjoy!

___________________________

The weekend went by too quickly and I found myself wanting to cry on Sunday night.

How could I have gotten myself into such a stupid position?

I absently sipped from a cup of cranberry juice, watching the movie Neighbors. Even though this was one of my most favorite movies with two of my favorite actors I couldn't bring myself to crack a smile.

Monday was the first day of hell on Earth... and Adam was the devil.

I sighed, shifting under the soft blanket surrounding me. Maybe he wouldn't be that bad as a boss. Ya'know maybe he'll be nicer since he's gotten what he wants. I mean, he has gotten what he wants, right? He wants me to be his assistant. But, why does he want it so badly? He literally framed me for a crime in order to get me to work for him. I mean, he definitely knows how to get his way. I couldn't help but admire that about him. He definitely has some Olivia Pope in him. I just wish I had at least a sliver of that same quality in me.

But, I'm too nice. I'm too kind and passive. He's direct, upfront, and aggressive.

How does one grow such qualities?

My phone rang interrupting my thoughts. I picked it up without looking at the caller ID.

"Speak."

"Excuse me? Is that any way to speak to your mother?" My mom's voice came through the phone and I rolled my eyes. It was not the time for her to be calling me and annoying me. I was liable to snap on her. It wouldn't be the first time. She's can be quite overbearing.

"Sorry, mom. How are you?"

"I'm fine. I was calling to let you know that you're cousin Ashly is going to come visit you. She's been having some money troubles and she found a new job in your area. So, I told her that you'd be happy to have her." She announced, and I could have fell off the couch. That last thing I needed was to worry about Ashly. She's my cousin and I love her. But, at 24 she's got the mind of a wild 16 year old. All she wants to do is party, meet guys, and 'look good'. She caused me so much trouble growing up. Somehow, the both of our parents always worried about me being the 'fast' one because I was the quiet one and I was mature. They didn't cast a single glance her way, but she was the one sneaking out of the house to meet guys. So, while she got away with things like that, I had to prove how un-fast I was.

"When is she coming?" I asked, mentally preparing myself for what I needed to do in preparation.

"She lands tomorrow." My mom chirped. You've got to be kidding me right now!

"Really. Okay, I'll call you later. Bye." I hung up the phone, stuffed my face in my fleece blanket, and screamed to the top of my lungs.

xxx

I walked into Adam's office. The early Los Angeles sun cast a luminous glow about his office. The view from his windows added to the serene feeling. Adam didn't deserve this type of beauty. He didn't exactly strike me as the type to care about the aesthetics of nature and gratitude. Adam cleared his throat making me turn to him. He was sporting a charcoal colored vest over a pale blue button up, with a finely patterned matching tie. His suit jacket hung where it usually does.

"Goodmorning, Mr. Steel." I grinned brightly at Adam, staring into his hard hazel eyes. He didn't return it. I hadn't expected him to. But, I wanted him to see that he doesn't affect me or make me less of a strong person. He watched me as I walked his coffee to his desk, setting it down with a smile. "The Salted Caramel Mocha that you love so much." I put a little attitude in my words.