9

This chapter is A LOT LONGER than all of my other chapters. 

Vote now!

Enjoy!

________________________

 "Do you like grape or strawberry jelly?" I looked up from Adam's files at Ashly. She was scantily clad cooking breakfast for me. I imagined how she must be the perfect girl for most guys. She was pretty, had no problem showing her sexy side, and she cooked. I, on the other hand, would fail in the "good girlfriend" department. I hate cooking and I'm the most awkward turtle ever. Being sexy is not my strong suit. 

"Strawberry is fine. Thanks for making breakfast." I smiled, looking back down at my work. I was preparing Adam's paperwork for a big meeting. My phone rung and I glanced down to see Adam's name and number yet again. It was like he just wanted me to fail or forget something. Annoyed, I answered the phone. 

"Mr. Steel." 

"Do you have the paperwork completed? My meeting is in less than five hours. This meeting means a lot." He said, and I rolled my eyes. I understood it the first eight times he told me. Adam Steel is a perfectionist/ worry wart. He's quite a pain to work for when he's this anxious. 

"I understand. Your work is complete and fully prepared. I am just rereading and making sure you have every single thing you could possibly need. Also, the catering business is coming by in four hours at nine. Ms. Greta said she would handle that." I replied. 

"Well, have you-" He started but I had to cut him off. 

"You're presentation screen has been repaired and it's ready to go. I had Peter give it four test runs last night and five this morning. Everything is handled." I explained swiftly and for a moment he was silent. 

"Audra, I like you more and more each day." He said, and I felt little butterflies in my stomach. It felt good to hear him say this. It had been a while since he showed any interest in me at all. I was feeling a bit irritated with that. I did not want to feel that way nor would I ever admit I did. I wanted Adam to want me again. It sucked not having the attention I used to. But why had he backed off? 

"I'll see you there, Mr. Steel." I hung up the phone, placing the papers into a folder. 

"Impossible." I looked up at my cousin in curiosity. She looked shocked to the core. "You like him." She smiled. "Whoever it is on that phone. Whoever this Mr. Steel is...you like him." She pointed at me as if she'd figured out who the Zodiac Killer was. 

"What?!" I exclaimed incredulously. "That's a no, Ash." 

"Mhm, okay, sure." She put her hands up in defeat and walked back to the counter-top. "I'm just saying..." She mumbled. "That smile on your face, the glow in your eyes, and the change in your voice and posture. I'm pretty damn sure you like him." She walked up to me and placed a plate in front of me. 

"I don't like him." I argued, but she didn't look like she was buying it. 

"Sure you don't, now eat up Aud." She replied, taking a seat in front of me and eating as well. She guzzled down a fruit smoothie she'd made. I picked at the food on my plate, but I couldn't get Adam out of my head. Was he over me? I shoved some bacon in my mouth and forced orange juice down my throat. I couldn't face Adam on an empty stomach. I would surely puke. 

After I was done eating and getting a stare down by Ashly, I rushed to get ready. I wasn't in a rush particularly but an extremely handsome man once said.."If you're on time...you're late." I decided to slip on a simple black dress that day. I straightened my hair the night before so it fell perfectly into place. Then, I was off to work.