12

Hey Readers! Sorry for the wait.. 

V O T E  for the chapter. 

Enjoy! 

________________________________

I was parked in my car across the street from Mercer's apartment waiting for her to run out. This was her idea of a "Great Escape".

I huffed, looked down at my watch, and thought about the dinner plans with Adam.  I hoped his 'If you're on time, you're late' rules didn't apply to dates because I was almost sure I would barely make it.

Finally, Mercer's slim frame came running towards me. Her flowy dress was slick to her body due to her speed. She wore big, black Carrie Bradshaw sunglasses that made her look like a bug. I giggled and unlocked the door. She scrambled in clumsily and yanked her seat belt across her torso.

"Remind me again why we're friends?" I questioned sarcastically. She scrunched her face and stuck her tongue at me.

"Because I'm your only best friend and without me you would wither away and die a painful death full of agonizing terror." She explained dramatically, glaring over her shoulder like a hawk.

Mercer is one of a kind.

I started the car and pulled off down the road. It didn't take an entire minute before her phone rang. I glanced over to see she was smirking.

"Hey, darling boyfriend." She answered sweetly, I resisted the urge to gag. "Oh, I'm just with Audra." She looked over at me with a snide expression. "Yeah, we're on our way to find some fine ass dudes to sleep with." She laughed hysterically and I rolled my eyes.

My phone vibrated in my pocket.

I maneuvered in my seat, pulled my phone out of my back pocket, and checking the message.

It was from Adam's cell and it read: Be at IDC @ 8. I'll see you there. 

I couldn't help the small smile on my lips. I wondered what was in store for me with this man. He didn't seem like the creative date type, so what was the plan? I was excited to find out. 

I started typing back just as a siren sounded behind my car. 

"Shit." I muttered, looking in my rear-view to see a squad car there. The man was gesturing for me to pull over. I considered speeding off, but I didn't think my Honda would beat him. 

"Damn, how did they even see that?" Mercer exclaimed, her eyebrow cocked. "They were paying way too much attention to your car, jeez." I pulled over to the side of the road as other cars zoomed by me. 

Why me?! 

I watched as the cop swerved in behind me. He waited a minute before stepping out of his car. He was very tall, caramel complexion, and broad shoulders. I pulled out my driver's license and registration from the glove compartment. By the time I looked back up he was standing directly in front of my window.

I rolled it down.

"Good evening, officer."

"Good evening, may I see some license and registration?" He asked, and I got a good look at him. He was really handsome with blue eyes and light brown hair framed his chiseled jaw. He looked like a muscle bound version of what I imagine my brother to look like if I had one. I handed him the papers and looked over at Mercer who was drooling. 

"How do you just magnetically attract all of these hot guys?" She whispered harshly into my ear. I glanced up at the cop, hoping he didn't have hearing like Adam.