20. "Show Me I Can Trust You"

Zayn saw how the boy kept his hands behind his back. Like he could hide what he had just done.

He shook his head. "Please don't call me that. It's a title that hasn't meant anything to me for a long time."

Niall rubbed the back of his neck. "I-I'm sorry."

Zayn raised his brow. "Why would you be sorry? You have nothing to be sorry for."

The blond simply shrugged. He kept his gaze to the ground.

The firebender took a step forward on which Niall stepped back.

Zayn sighed. "Listen, you have no idea how sorry I am for what my family and I did to you. Please, I never wanted to do any of it. I don't want anything to do with them and the rest of my nation anymore. I swear. I understand that you could probably never forgive me. But I really am a better person now. You have to believe me. I just-"

Niall stopped him. His voice was soft, but firm."Please, can we just not talk about this?"

Zayn bit his lip, but nodded.

They were both quiet for moment.

Then Zayn spoke up. "You are unbelievably good at bending, did you know that? The move you just did. Liam has been working on that for weeks. And you just... did it."

Niall shrugged. He looked rather sad with the praise. "Please, don't tell them."

"What? Why not?" Zayn asked. He just  knew by watching Niall, that he was a very strong bender. Exactly what they needed.

This time Niall did look up at the prince. "Because you guys don't need me. You already have Liam. I don't want to risk anything anymore. I don't want to bend."

Zayn took a few steps closer. This time Niall didn't move away. "That's a lie. You do want to bend. I saw it in your eyes when you were watching Liam. You were eager to do it. You are just scared."

Niall narrowed his eyes. "Well of course I'm scared! Last time I bend, everything got taken away from me. I don't ever want to go through that again. If I have to give up bending for that, I'm fine with it."

"I understand. But there's nothing to be scared of. You're not at the Fire Nation anymore. The Peace Protectors are different. They wil help you, I promise."

The boy shook his head and looked up. "Please, Zayn. I don't want anyone to know. I know this is different, but I just can't bend again. It feels like I betray my family."

The mention of his family brought tears to his eyes.

Zayn couldn't handle the look on his face and looked away.

"Please," Niall said again, "You have to keep this a secret. Nobody can know, especially not the boys. Promise me that you will keep this a secret."

Zayn sighed. He hesitated.

"Please Zayn. Show me I can trust you."

The firebender looked up at the boy and he held his hand on his heart as he made a promise to the boy. "You can."

You can trust me to make everything okay for you again.

.
.

"I'm sorry, Louis. I just-"

"Wanted to win?" the oldest boy said. Then he rolled his eyes, but smiled back. "I know you wanted to win. That's what you're all about! Maybe you took it a bit to far today, but I can take a punch."

"Take a punch?" Harry said. "You almost drowned Louis!?"

Th earthbender shrugged as Zayn chuckled. "Well yeah, but I'm still alive."