Part 2

Nate

Currently life at home was not a piece of cake. My mom and dad were always fighting over petty stuff it was horrid.
I never got the chance to really talk to them about anything whatsoever. So like every normal teenager does.. I turned to Ray for refuge. He was practically my brother and his family my own. To make matters worse I didn't have a blood sibling to confide in about anything.

" You have been spending a lot of time next-door son." My father informed me Monday morning as I was preparing to go to school.

" If only this place was bearable enough for me!" I replied looking anywhere but him.

" What is that supposed to mean Son."

" I don't know, what do you think it means?" I said shrugging.

" Quit playing games with me. I asked a simple question and I expect a simple answer damn it!"

" Language" my mother retorted.

" That's for starters, you have never cussed at me before or generally for that matter."

"That's besides the point."

" What do you care anyway. It's not like you are always home. And when you actually are all you do is fight with Mom over silly things. What are you ..an adolescent. Just tell me, do you even remember the last time we spent any quality time together or even talked."

" I don't." he said scratching the back of his neck.

" Right. That's because there has never been any."

" But weren't we doing just that before you erupted like a volcano."

" Erupted? Wow. That is just ...wow! And  you wonder why I spend a lot of time next door."

I grabbed the dishes and dumped them on the sink and took my bag from the sofa. Breakfast was not that appetizing anymore. Once outside the house I dug into my pockets for my car keys which apparently had decided to gang up on me too. Touching my temple I felt a headache coming. Just great. What a beautiful way to start a week. Don't even get me started on the school drama.
Ray was waiting for me outside. At least he had been early today. I was in no mood to wait for anyone today. Even though we always rode together to school.

" Everything okay buddy?" He inquired.

" Just the usual", I shrugged. Ray knew about the situation at home, how my father had changed so sudden. He'd become so distant from my mother and I lately. It bothered me so much. I doubt I know him anymore. The promotion was getting to his head or maybe something else he didn't want to share with us.

" Hey cheer up. It will be alright." Ray attempted to comfort me.

The ride to school had been nothing less than awkward. We didn't talk...we just rode silently. Thank heavens Ray understood I needed the silence more than anything to clear my head.

Classes started without delay and I was grateful for the distraction. I seemed to be paying less attention to the teachers and a couple of them noticed.

" Mr. Adams are you even listening to what am saying?" The Chemistry teacher seemed riled up.

"Clearly." I grunted in response. What was clear now was that I must have pissed him off because the look he was giving me could send one straight to the pits of hell much to the amusement of the students.

" Detention." He replied eyes bulging out like saucers.

"Ms. Clarence help him out because you were 'clearly' listening too "  he said sarcastically. I hadn't even realized the almighty Ryn had been sitting right behind me as she always does in every Chemistry class. I must have really been distracted a ton.

" I am not in the mood. Please ask someone else." She replied putting back the earphones in her ears.

The teacher was so infuriated that he  stomped to her seat and grabbed her earphones dumping them on the floor. The class went silent... everyone watching what her next move would be.

" I said I'm not in the mood Mr. Freak show. Don't make this any big of a deal than it already is. I don't have time for this shit .. I already have a lot on my mind." She said grabbing her backpack and got up. The students were giggling and some straight out laughing.

" You have detention Ms. Clarence. And if you don't want more trouble I suggest you don't miss." The teacher huffed.

" The pleasure is all mine your honor." She saluted on her way out. Ryn seemed to get more and more  popular in Starview by the minute. I'm not so sure I liked that.

" It's not like it's any of your business anyway." I reminded my subconscious.

Looking back at what happened in Chemistry class earlier today, I realized there was something off about Ryn today. Not that I usually spy on her or anything but she wasn't quite herself. I felt the urge to comfort her and tell her everything is going to be okay even though I had my own problems to worry about. I didn't bother spending lunch in the cafeteria today so after getting our lunch Ray and I found a spot on the field to sit. We ate in silence as I doodled stupid stuff on my drawing book. I had missed this. I can't say I'm quite artsy but I'd agree to being talented to the sport if at all it is.

" I'm not sure I like the quiet you more." Ray said pitifully.

" Me neither." I replied truthfully.

Classes flew by quickly and before I realized it was detention time. Determined to keep a clean record this final year like I had earlier promised myself I headed for detention. As always I was the first and I opted to take a seat at the middle of the class close to a window where I would occasionally peep out.

Seconds later Archie and his group marched in the room taking their usual spot at the back. I should have known they would be here. Just my luck. They weren't really studying. I overheard Archie talking about a party he hosted  last Saturday and bragged about the amount of girls throwing themselves at him. I pretended not to see them so they would do the same but apparently the universe had better plans for me.

" There's our favorite toy guys. How come we didn't see him?" Archie teased as strode to where I was seated.

" Let nerdy boy be. Get  your ass out of here Archie." A voice I quite recognized came to my rescue . I felt the corners of my mouth turning upwards and I suppressed a smile though I was melting with happiness by the inside. My knight in shining armor.

" Chill baby girl. I was just borrowing a book see!" He randomly picked a book on my desk and turned  to join his friends who were laughing at his expense.

" You can't take that! That's my drawing book. Its um..uh sort of you know...kinda personal?" I blushed not able to form proper words in her presence.
' What are you doing to me Ryn?' I thought to myself and blushed even more. She looked at me and raised a brow. It was cute. And then she smiled looking me square in the eyes before she winked.

" Give it back!" She sternly said to Archie who raised his hands in surrender and returned my book.

" Thank you." I shyly said as I scratched the back of my neck.

It was a good kind of awkward.

Vote. Comment. Let me hear what you think.

This chapter is edited. Enjoy!