Part 2

The drawing was coming along pretty well. I definitely did not need a picture of her by any means..I remembered every bit and piece of her. Her image was fresh in my mind. I could see her even behind my closed eyes. It was confusing to say the least. It had been days since the last time we talked. I haven't seen her since, not that it was bothering me or anything. Alright it was bothering me....but just a little, just enough. Even Ray had noticed my lightened mood of late.

The other day, I'd had fun in detention. The kind of fun I hardly have at home, not even with Ray. It felt so refreshing and I was ....happy.. I guess. With everything else going on at home I felt.. not bothered. At least one moment in my life when I didn't have to put anyone before me and worry about a single thing. Selfish? I know but isn't it ...human? Ryn had been the perfect person to make me forget. Make me human , even if just for a little while.

"Where had she been all my life?", I wondered then blushed for the thousandth time that day. Just great!

When she told me to make a drawing of her as she left, I felt important. That somehow someone saw my importance. I wasn't just a background, a blur and I was grateful so I smiled in return.

" I take it that's a yes?" She'd asked.
Boy she didn't have to ask, the idea had been brewing in my head since the first day I saw her. Call me cliché, that what I was and I didn't give a care in the world.

"Yes." I'd answered out breath. I released a breath I did not even know I had been holding.

" Earth to Nate."

" Yeah, what.? What's that you said?" I asked Ray.

" I knew it, I knew it!"

"What! What are you talking about."

" What do you mean? I have been calling you for the past ten minutes. What are thinking about at this time of day? You don't have a girlfriend, you don't have children, you're just practically stuck with me." Ray said smacking my head.

" First, ouch ..that hurt you idiot. Second speak for yourself man"

" So you are basically telling me now you have children? "

" Jesus no Ray! What is wrong with you?" I exclaimed as he smacked my head the second time in a row.

" What are you thinking? "

" Nothing I'm just......

" And you have that stupid smile of yours again. Are you a secret baby daddy by any chance Nate?"

" What , don't spill your secrets to me Ray. I already have enough of my own"

" Whatever. Anyway on a serious not as I was saying before you zoned out

" Just....God Ray ..just speak.

" OK OK fine. Remember last time we were having lunch at the field and I told you I did not like the quiet you?"

"Yeah, why?"

" Well I'm glad we're past that now. I like the smiling you better. What changed? Mom and Dad patched things up?

On the mention of my parents, my smile suddenly fell. Things weren't better with my parents from a few days back. In fact the situation is getting worse day after day. I either have to scream at a yelling dad or nurse a crying mom, none if which was any easier.

"Bro, can we not talk about my parents when am at school please. I'll save that for later when I'm going home, when I have no choice but to listen to them bicker back and forth knowing there is absolutely nothing I can do to remedy the situation."

" Look , I really do appreciate your concern and all but please, just....never bring that topic up again. Especially when we're in school. Got it?"

" For what its worth, I like the smiling me better too and I would like to keep that up for as long as I can okay?" I finished out of breath with a frown on my face.

God knows I hated that topic. Not that it was Ray's fault in any way.

" Hey buddy, I did not mean to upset you. Unfortunately, I just manage to say the wrong things at the right time, I mean the right thing at the wrong time.. ugh! Just know something wrong and time". Ray said lifting my mood once again. What are friends for.

" But honestly bro, I am sorry. " he said giving the situation the seriousness it deserved.

" It's all good. We're good. I'm sorry too. I didn't mean to..you know..shout at you?" I said scratching the back of my neck.

Ray gave me a questioning look as if prompting me to say more.

" Alright. I'm sorry too. Now we are even." Best friend in the world , I would never trade him for anyone else.

" That's more like it. Now give me a smile Nathan baby". I swatted his hand away as he tried to put his finger in my hair to ruffle it. He liked to enjoy my discomfort mostly. I was not one to express a lot of emotions and Ray seemed to be savoring the moment as I blushed profusely. Sometimes I wished I was black, so no one would see me blush this much.

" So what are we doing after school today? " he asked beaming.

" What do you have in mind?" I said already regretting having given that much freedom.

" I was thinking there's this Mexican Restaurant....

" Fine. Mexican it is." I didn't let him finish and he rewarded me with a wide grin.

" I could swear you Ray, are a very big baby."

" Well who doesn't like Mexican."

" For starters....

" You're not going to 'for starters' me Nate. You agreed to this so suit yourself.

"Ugh.. Fine. Remind me why we are friends again?".

Haha..very funny Nate".

        .  .  .  .

" Dude, are you sure you can see the road. I mean you're stuffed like a pig."

We were coming back from the Mexican restaurant and Ray was driving like he was food drunk. I just hope he doesn't get us both killed.

" I had fun ." he said.

" If by fun you mean getting me malnourished and you full to bursting then yay! We absolutely nailed it. Dude you practically ate the whole thing on my plate too."

" You said it was okay!" Ray defended.

" Well sometimes okay means no and no means okay. You just gotta read between the lines mate." I said smiling. When did I because a professor. Definitely misplaced feelings.

" Whatever. Do you wanna crash at mine? We can watch a movie or something. "

" Thanks Ray, but I would have to go to my house at some point. Thanks for the offer anyway. I'm going to see how mom's doing. See you tomorrow at school yeah?"

" Yeah bro. Take care. Call me anytime.

"Will do," I waved as I made my way into my nerve wrecking home.

Vote. Comment. Let me hear what you think.

This chapter is edited. Enjoy!