Chapter 9

" I have a fight today at the gym. You want to come and watch?" I asked Kate as I fixed my hair into a messy burn and raked the closet for my black short. We were in my room after a long day at school. The week had been uneventful much to Kate's disappointment.

" I wouldn't miss it for the world!" She said beaming. Aside from the usual school routine Kate and I had been hitting the gym for the past week. Me training with Mike and Kate just watching the whole thing with occasional jogging on the treadmill. 'Lazy ass'.

Mike was the gym owner. He welcomed me to his gym with open arms. I had not gotten into any underground fighting club yet the gym would have to do for now. Early that day, Mike had approached me and asked of what I thought about kicking some ass on Friday evening and I agreed.

"Excellent way to start the weekend."

It would not be the first time I did it anyway. I used to do that a lot back in Tennessee with.....Caleb.

" Great, I just had to remember that!" I said sarcastically.

It was my way of releasing tension and all the anger. Otherwise I would be a bomb waiting to explode any time, especially when I expect it least.

" Are you sure you are ready to do this? You know you can cancel anytime. "

"Alana, she is a tough one kiddo." Mike asked concerned.

" Do you not trust me sir? " I asked him.

" I do but I'm just worried about you. She has been doing this longer than you have. Its only natural that I worry. " he sympathized.

The first time I joined the gym Mike was so surprised. He would stop whatever he was doing just to watch me train. At first he was convinced I was playing some sort of prank on him but as time went by he realised how serious I was. He agreed to train and he was so impressed with my skills.

"Where did you learn all that?" he had asked in awe. " For a girl your age, this is some really good stuff."

" Well sir, I was in a military school back in Tennessee. I just moved in Alabama about a month or so. " I did not want to mention anything about the fighting clubs I joined in Tennessee because that would only remind me of ..him.

Him.

I don't know why he kept crossing my mind even after a long time.

Apparently the heart is not easy to forget. How much I hated that. How much I hated me for having to remember that.

Hadn't it been long enough?

" Oh I see. That's why this stuff is not so new to you then."

" Yes sir." I said smiling. As much as I hated my stay there, I also learnt a thing or two.

I had respect for Mike. The man was old enough to be my father and he was so nice to me , I liked it. He treated me like he would his own daughter and I was glad.

Lucky even. He didn't have a child of his own. He said the life he lived did not allow him such luxury.

" Great moves you have there. The roundhouse kick you did was impressive. And your hook can break a bone. " he commended.

" Thank you sir." I gave him a toothy grin.

" Now! now! How many times have I told you to just call me Mike", he chuckled. I'm an old man I know but damn that's so old even for me"

I laughed enjoying his easy sense of humor. I guess this is the universe's way of opening another door for me considering the situation with my parents.

" Sure thing sir...I mean Mike"

" No worries kiddo. Hakuna Matata . Anyway see you on Friday four thirty. Can you make it by then?" He'd asked.

" I'd have to check with Kate. She's my alarm and reminder." I said rubbing the back of my neck.

" Of course you need some one for that." he said laughing out loud."Just don't bully her too much.

After putting on my short and laying back on my bed, Kate jumped on too landing right on my belly.

" You know I'm breakable too right? " I asked her clutching my torso.

" But you are almost as strong as Mike Tyson. " she said laughing.

" Yeah well...keep telling yourself that. When I die on you one day....

" OK stop. That's it. No death talks here....

" So I was wandering.. " Kate was looking anywhere but me.

" You want to invite your friends? "

" I swear Ryn, you know me too well . They are your friends too you know."

" I don't think that's a very good idea Kate

" You don't want them to see how bad ass you are?"

" I just don't feel that would be a good sight for them. Besides they already know how bad ass I am ."

" Fine. Whatever. Anyway aren't you freaking out. Why aren't you freaking out right now. "

" Why should I ? Its not like we are going to kill each other or anything. "

" Isn't that what you are going to do? And your parents, do they know you are doing this?"

" They couldn't care less. I'm really glad for Mike. Who knows what they have on their plates anyway.

" I still can't believe you are sisters with Donna."

"Why is that? Where did that come from?"

" You two are total opposites. Donna is ...you know..miss goody too shoes and a bitch sometimes and you are...you. How did that happen?"

" She is still my sister you know."

" She is a blonde and you are a red head. Are you sure you are even related?" She said laughing.

" She took after her mother and I after my Nana... Dad's side."

"No wonder. Her mom loves her too much."

" Kate ..she is my mom too." I said smiling. Wtf is she getting at.

" What I hate though is how they always compare me to her. I don't understand how they can't get that we are two different people. She may be a people's person but am I not too?"

" Are you really Ryn." I know am not really good with people but honestly, how is that my fault. I don't tell them to be afraid of me.

Just because I have tattoos and piercings doesn't mean I am bad.

Well maybe I'm bad. But just a little.

" We're leaving in an hour Kate. Go get ready.

Vote. Comment.

This chapter is edited. Enjoy!