Chapter 17

Dedicated to cjchoni

Ryn.

It had been a long two hours since my fight with Donna. I had been silently lying under the grass of the beautiful Oak tree that often shaded Nate and I. This time around, I did not want to involve him in my problems. He may be understanding but the guy needed a break too. I didn't want to give him a responsibility to carry my burdens, it wasn't fair to him.

I watched silently as the morning turned to noon. Caleb had been calling me non stop for the past couple of days but I couldn't bring myself to talk to him. Not yet. Seeing his face would only revive the kind of pain that I wanted to burry. I would give him a chance to explain himself, just not now.

I decided to send a message to Kate who kept complaining that we weren't having any quality best friend time together. Kate had told me how the crew has been treating Nate lately and I was impressed. Everyone there by now knew that Nate and I had a thing, so they treated him with the respect they would give me.

Hey you moron. Miss me? R

A few minutes later Kate replied.

Hey right back at you. Girl where are you? Kate

I'm not home right now R

I know that, I went to see you just now I was told you went out. Are you okay? Kate

Yeah. Why? R

I'm just curious. I found Donna weeping and your parents were arguing about something. It looked serious. Are you sure you're okay? I'm starting to get worried. Kate

Don't be. R

I know something is wrong, why else would you be giving me these kinds of answers. Where are you right now? I'm coming to get you. Kate.

I shut down the phone and threw it on the ground. I loved Kate, so much, but I wasn't ready to talk right now and knowing her the way I do, she would force everything out of me. I didn't have that energy.

I don't know how long I stayed like that until I decided it was time to face Caleb. I wanted get it over with so I could find peace of mind for myself.

I got on my bike and drove to Nate's house. I had already mastered the address of his home, considering the number of times I visited.

On arrival, I rang the doorbell and waited patiently. Then the door went wide open only to reveal a woman dressed in an apron with baking flour smeared allover her. I could smell vanilla fragrance from where I stood and from my line of vision I saw a tray of cookies and my mouth immediately watered.

"You must be Mrs Adams. My name is Ryn, a friend of Nathans." I stretched my hand and she took it in hers warmly with a bright smile.

"Oh. I see. I never thought I'd live to see this day. Come on in Darling." She ushered me inside and saw me ogle her cookies.

"Here have a taste. I was just baking something for the boys." She offered me a plate of cookies and I happily took it. I was hungry." Just wait here, I'll go call Nate for you."

"Actually ma'am, I'm here to see Armstrong. Caleb Armstrong." I stopped her before she could complicate issues.

"Oh." She looked disappointed. "For a moment there, I thought you were here for my son." That made me blush and she smiled. She was rooting for us. Nate and I . He must have told her about me. That made me blush a little bit more.