Part 2

Lunch came by quicker and I couldn't be more excited. I wasn't planning on being sad forever. Not on my bucket list.
Life had to move on. One way or the other.

"Mate, I'm glad you're here. There's that all girls band singing today, we should go now. Or we're going to miss seats and I wasn't planning on sitting on the floor." Ray encouraged holding my hand and dragging me to the Music Chamber a few blocks away.

"You know I can walk with my very own legs perfectly OK right?" I whined

" Now where's the fun in that?" he questioned.

"Whatever man, just let go." I insisted.

A few people had already arrived. The hall was half full. This band seemed to be quite popular. The girls were at the back preparing when we took our seat somewhere close to the back. 

"I just can't understand why your stubborn self won't let us sit at the center already. You know you aren't really that tall and you insisted we sit here." Ray was now on pouting mode. I sighed.

"Man can you just stop complaining for once in your life. And who said listening required the use of eyes anyways. We're OK where we are." I affirmed with a bored expression. "Just calm your tits." I said that more to myself but he heard it.

"Calm your tits? Where did that come from?" he chuckled covering his mouth with his palm to muffle the sound.
"I swear your grumpiness is up a notch today."

After a short while, the band which I learned went by the name Waterfall started to sing and I lost myself in their beautiful voices. It was such a perfect harmony I felt it to the heart.

"Oh they are good." I said to myself.

" I couldn't agree with you more." The girl who was sitting beside me to my left genuinely smiled.

' Standing in the shadows, I thought that I earned it.
Feeling invisible, I thought that I deserved it. '

.........I'm stepping into the light....

At that moment, the lyrics hit me hard.  It's like the song was solely written for me. I related to every single word of it.

I decided that there and then, it was time for me to ' step into the light. No more standing in the shadows, no more feeling invisible. '

I was going to live my life and no one was going to dictate how I do that. All this while I had been afraid. Of what exactly? I wasn't so sure anymore. Who is to say I would wake up tomorrow safe and sound. Who knows if tomorrow I'll be there. Surely everyone under the sun doesn't. I was going to live my life without worries whatsoever, I would live it like tomorrow doesn't exist.

That was it. No more being bullied by Archie and just standing there like a douche, no more suffocating myself in nerd dilemma, who said nerds can't live their lives without constant embarrassment.

When the band wrapped up their last song, everyone rose up to applaud them. I felt all better now, in fact I felt great. Everyone deserves a standing ovation in their lives at some point.

I turned to the girl beside me and attempted small talk. Wouldn't hurt to make some friends would it?

"Do they usually perform on Mondays every week?" I inquired smiling at her.

"Mondays and Fridays." She hesitantly replied.

"Cool. I didn't get your name." I pushed my luck.

"It's Neilani. Strange name I know right." She smiled referring to my confused state.

"No. Not at all. Its just..I thought Neil was a male name. Anyway, what did you think about  their presentation? They're good right?" I had a feeling we'd get along pretty great and I was glad she was so easy going.

"This is my friend Ray by the way. Ray this is Neil." I introduced as we made our way for our late lunch.

"That was his exact reaction too by the way." She referred to me when she saw Ray's confused face." I think you guys should just call me Lani or Nei or Ila , it will save all of us the need for explanation every time." Neil managed with a laughter.

She was a little shorter than me with her brown curls bouncing off her shoulders. She had big brown chocolate eyes that reminded me of honey. On the curves side, oh she was blest.

I blushed at that. Friends don't check out each other's curves, I reminded myself.

"Are you a senior? I don't think I've seen you in any of my classes?" I kept the conversion flowing because Ray clearly was not in that boat.

"That's because you take all your classes A P. Not all of us are blessed with such brains Nate. And no, I'm not a senior. I'm just a grade below you." She said then covered her mouth in shock when she discovered her slip.

"You know my name?" I asked clearly amused. And here I was thinking I was an invisible nerd in the all glorious Star view.

" I hope you are not mad. Mr Anton always talks about you in class. He says " if you have any math, Chemistry or whatever study problem, just go to Nathaniel. That kid is bright for his own good. And don't think flattering him will get you anywhere, he does not like being worshiped like that." Neil finished quoting the teacher exact words.

I chuckled, then burst into a full blown laughter.

"That was hilarious. Don't ever do that guy voice again." I managed to choke in between laughter.

" You've never come to me with  a problem so I'm guessing you're all good?" I raised a questioning brow.

"Not really. I was so afraid of you." She admitted shyly her cheeks turning a rosy shade.

It was Ray's turn to die of laughter as we made it inside the cafeteria.
" Afraid of him? He's totally harmless. "

The cafeteria was in its usual buzz, though most if the population was already through with their lunch but just making stories to pass the time. I spotted Ryn with her group of friends grinning ear to ear with something Jack said. It shouldn't have bothered me but it did.

Abruptly I just asked," do you want to sit with us at the table? Maybe you can get over your being afraid of me." I offered and she happily obliged.

At the corner of my eye, I noticed Ryn's body going tense when she spotted the visitor at our table. I made it a point to laugh out loud so she could hear how genuinely happy I was.

Just because she didn't want to be my friend didn't mean I couldn't make some of my own.

Vote. Comment.

Edited. Enjoy!