Chapter 32

Hermione kept pondering if she should tell Draco that Pansy was hurting herself. She was being very selfish. All this because she just wanted Draco to stick to her? That's not like herself. What if something goes wrong? It have been two days, and even he was getting real suspicious about her attitude. Hermione avoided him, but spend most of her time watching Pansy  closely, afraid that things might turn downhill.

She rubbed her face, then pushed her plate of sandwiches away. She's wasn't that hungry anyways.

"You're going so soon? There's still time," Harry said.

"I'll just wait in the class," Hermione smiled and hurried away.

She carried her books, her hands supporting the bottom of it. Her new wand was stuck at her robes, and she was ready to do her work properly, without it going wrong like last time.

"Hey, what's with you?" Draco jogged and grabbed her arm.

"What?"

"You seemed weird. Is something wrong?" he asked.

"No, nothings wrong, Draco.."

"You're lying! I know when you do that!"

"Can we drop it? It's getting ridiculous!" Hermione defended herself.

"Not until you tell me."

Hermione huffed. "Just - enough. I need some time to study," and she quickly walked off.

********
"And Hogwarts was first discovered by the four founders.. Which you all know.."

Hermione furiously jotted down the important notes here and there, marking them with specific symbols to find it easily.

She focused and listened while the other students had already fell asleep on their desks and snoozed off. Harry was cleaning his glasses, and Ron had buried his head in his arms.

At first, she got distracted by an owl pecking on the glass pane, but she ignored it. Then somewhere far at the astronomy tower, she saw something hanging onto the balcony.

Must be some stupid cloth. She continued writing until that piece of cloth she thought wriggled, struggling to lift itself up.

Hermione diverted her attention to it. The cloth looked like robes.. And a black headed thing.. Oh my bloody god!

Hermione dropped her quill and her jaw hung in surprised. She quickly ran, pushing past the classroom doors and went down to the dimly lit dungeons where she saw the potions classroom.

"Draco!" she busted in, panting, and her knees felt wobbly.

The class's attention went to her and Professor Bradford looked at her and frowned. "What is it, Ms Granger?"

"Draco! Pansy is hanging onto the Astronomy tower! She's going to fall!" Hemione shrieked.

The class wriggled out of their seats and walked furioulsy, Professor Bradford on their trail.

"How did this happened?" he hissed at her.

"I-I don't know!" she stammered.

"Oh bother," Draco summoned his broom and dashed out, flying on it.

Hermione watched him do so while she herself ran to see. Below the astronomy tower, three professors and a whole bunch of students looked up, their mouths wide opened.

Pansy's fingers hung onto the hard cement, bruised and red while her eyes are teary.

Blaise Zabini was reaching out his hand for her to grab but she didn't have the strength. One of her fingers lost its energy and was released. The crowd gasped and screamed loudly. Even Hermione herself was shaking, her body trembling and her lips quivering with fear. Why didn't she do something earlier? It's going to be all her fault if P-pansy dies! No, that's not going to happen! Where's Draco? She's going to fall, stupid ferret!

Another finger dropped. Blaise was reaching down as far as he can, and he might toppled off if he moved a little more down.

Then someone flew quickly as Pansy fell, grabbing her, then landing down onto the field. Everyone looked like ants to Hermione.

She let out a huge sigh of relief, like someone had lifted bricks from her shoulders.

The crowd all rushed down, and Pansy fainted. Hermione saw her face. It was pale, and her lips were cracked. Madam Pomfrey had rolled up her sleeves to treat the bruises on it, little cuts that sealed up after her blood was oozed out.

Draco watched over Pansy, following her to the infirmary and watching every single thing. Hermione quitely followed him, afraid and guilty. Something bad had happened, and maybe if she voice out, she wouldn't be on the verge of death.

"She needs some rest.." Madam Pomfrey muttered, pulling up the white sheets.

"Oh Merlin... Maybe if I noticed her disappearance earlier, she wouldn't be in this situation,"Draco said quietly.

"Yeah.. That day was horrifying."

"What day?" he asked.

"Er, nothing,"Hermione made an excuse,"I've got to go back and finish my homework -"

"Wait," he grabbed her arm firmly, "You're hiding something."

"I'm not," she tried to wriggled her arm but he was pressing it tightly.

"Tell me. You can't escape," he said darkly.

"That d-day, I s-saw Pansy, she was hurting herself and was escaping classes. I noticed her the past few days," Hermione gave up and told everything else. She thought he was going to comfort her, but he released her arm and looked furious.

Hermione felt more guilty of herself. She lowered her head and rubbed her arm nervously.

"You didn't told me? Her life was in danger!"

"I know, but it didn't seem like the right time-"

"Not the right time, huh, she could die any day! And because of what?"

"Hey, we're in a relationship and -" she was cut by Draco.

"Oh, right. How selfish of you! Because we're dating and you didn't want her to interfere it? Pansy put her life there, alright?"

"She didn't do it accidentally! She could be lying, trying to drift us apart because we're not meant to be!" Hermione shouted.

His face turned into stone, not blinking. "You had no faith. I thought you were better than this,"he said coldly.

"We're turning this the wrong way. She was wrong," Hermione accused Pansy, out from the darkest part of heart. What he said was true. One of the main reason is because she didn't want him to go with some girl that he used to love for the past few years.

"I was wrong about you. Just - leave us alone."

"Draco, please, I can fix this," she said desperately.

"There's no more to say. You've broken my feelings for you."