- 8 -

I sink into my seat for fourth period, still unable to get the memory of Luke's hands on my hips out of my mind. I was being ridiculous. I don't like Luke that way. He and I were... Well, I didn't know what we were. He was just some guy who gave me a ride home from a party. We'd barely talked and most of the time he was hitting on me.

The bell rings to start class, but I'm not paying attention. This is the last class of the day. Would it really matter if I just claimed I didn't feel good and went home?

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I check it under the table, knowing how much my teacher hates phones.

From unknown:

Come to the back parking lot.

I frown at the unfamiliar number as I text back a response.

From Emmy:

Do I know you?

From unknown:

Not nearly as well as I wish you would, Em ;)

Chasing away the weird feeling in my stomach, I clear my throat and get to my feet. "I don't feel very good," I announce to the teacher, feeling everyone's eyes turning to me. Grabbing my stuff before anyone can say anything, I run out of the room and head toward the back entrance to the school.

A familiar figure awaits me in the parking lot, flashing me a smile as he pushes off from where he was leaning against his car. "I hoped you wouldn't blow me off," Luke says, an unreadable glimmer in his blue eyes as he steps closer to me.

"How'd you get my number?" I breathe, not quite sure what else to say.

He shrugs, reaching out to brush a strand of my hair behind my ear. "I have my ways." Grinning at me over his shoulder, he opens the passenger door of his car. "Come on, Em, I want to take you somewhere." Seeing the hesitation on my face, he drops his voice and adds, "Don't you want to go on a little adventure with me?"

My heart nearly skipped a beat. Going against my better judgement, I step into his car, throwing my bag into the backseat next to his empty cigarette boxes and guitar. Luke smiles to himself as he walks around to the other side of the car, sliding in behind the wheel.

"If you're lucky, this little trip could end in a kiss," he says with a wink.

I roll my eyes, ignoring the weird fluttery feeling in my stomach. "You mean if you're lucky," I mumble as I reach over to turn on the radio.

Luke chuckles under his breath as he turns out of the school's lot, merging with regular traffic. I watch him out of the corner of my eye, wondering where he could be taking me. Hopefully not some dark alley or his empty house. I still wasn't entirely sure whether or not I should be careful around him. He hadn't tried anything yet, but who's to say he won't?

My suspicion fades when I notice the song coming through the speakers. "You kept it on my station?" I ask, whipping my head towards him.

"I liked it," he says a bit awkwardly. Is that a faint blush spreading across his cheeks? "You're taste in music is definitely better than your taste in guys. I still don't believe that I'm not your type," he adds with a scowl.

"Aww, did little Lukey get his feelings hurt?" I tease. "Grow a bigger dick and then we can talk."

He cracks a smile at that. Pausing at a stop sign, he clears his throat and says, "Wanna play twenty questions?"

I do a double take. After a second of confused speechlessness, I say, "Sure."

"I'll go first." Luke shifts a little in his seat as if he were nervous. The thought of Luke Hemmings being nervous around me made me want to laugh out loud. "Do you have any siblings?"

"No," I answer. "It's just me, my mom and my dad. What about you?"

"I have two older brothers, Ben and Jack." Luke sighs. "They're annoying and they bully me."

I smile, just thinking about someone bullying Luke. I almost couldn't imagine it.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" Luke asks in a not so casual tone.

I anxiously started fidgeting with my fingers. "No." Awkwardly clearing my throat, I say, "Have you thought about what you want to do after you graduate?"

He made a face. "I don't know. My mom's a math teacher and she's dying for me to make something out of myself. I think I'll probably go to some college relatively close by and study English. Despite what people may think of me, I actually really like English."

He starts blushing almost as soon as he's done, but I think it's cute. My eyes widen at my own thoughts. No, I did not think Luke was cute.

"Well, I think that sounds nice," I say gently. "If you have something that makes you happy, you should follow it."

Luke gives me a small, surprised smile. But he hides it before a second has passed, leading me to believe that I'd almost imagined it. "What's one of your biggest turn-ons?" He asks the question with a smirk and I roll my eyes, trying to hide the blush I feel creeping up my cheeks.

Not wanting to chicken out, I try to think of an answer. "Um... sweet little excuses to touch, I guess. Like, not in a sexual way, just... touch."

He grins and I roll my eyes again, hitting his arm gently. "Oh shut up. Favorite breakfast food? This is an important question, Hemmings, it could make or break you."

Luke smiles as he thinks for a second. "I'm gonna have to go with pancakes."

I throw my hands into the air. "I'm sorry I can no longer associate with you. Waffles are obviously the superior breakfast food and I don't appreciate you tossing them aside like they're garbage."

"No way, pancakes are obviously so much better," Luke argues. "Waffles are just weird - what's with all the little holes in them? I want more food not food with parts of it missing. Pancakes are amazing."

"You know, this isn't helping you become my type," I joke.

He pretends to pout, giving it up in exchange for a grin. "Oh, Emmy, I know I'm already your type. You're just in denial. No one can resist all this, it's just not possible."

I cross my arms over my chest, making a face as he pulls into a parking lot, cutting off the engine. "Where are we?" I ask as he pockets his keys and opens his door.

Luke smiles as I meet him at the front of his car, flashing me a quick grin that does weird things to my heart. "Have you ever wanted to go laser tagging?"