- 14 -

"What are you doing here?"

I flinch from the harshness of Luke's tone. "Watching the game," I spit. "What's it to you?"

A muscle twitches in his jaw as his gaze flickers back to Noah, jogging away from me. There's a flash of some hidden emotion in his eyes, but it vanishes before I can think too deeply about it.

Luke's hands clench into fists as he turns away from me, stalking back to the sidelines. Something about the fierce way he shoves his mouth guard back into his mouth sends a shiver down my spine.

Feeling a little lightheaded, I make my way back up to the bleachers where Calum and Ashton and Michael are cheering at the top of a mostly-empty section.

I frown. "Where did Kayla go?" I ask Calum.

"She left with Ethan," he says. "She told me to tell you that she didn't want to make you leave too."

I grit my teeth in annoyance. Curse Kayla and stupid Ethan. She was my ride - how was she expecting me to get home? There is no way in hell I'm riding with Luke.

I cross my arms over my chest as I survey the field. Luke manages another point before a guy on the other team crashes into him, knocking him to the ground. He struggles back to his feet, waving away offers of help from his teammates.

Michael's mouth twists into a frown. "Is he ok?" I hear him murmur to Calum in a low voice.

"I don't know," Calum mutters back, his brown eyes on their friend down below.

Luke snaps at something his coach says, gesturing with wild movements. I notice the weird way he holds his leg, never putting much weight on his ankle. I'm still mad at him, but I can't help the flicker of concern that shoots through me.

Most of the people in the stands have left by now. It's getting late and colder. We move further down to the front and Luke's furious voice carries across the stadium.

"Coach, I can play!" he's yelling. "I'm fine!"

"I'm putting Noah in for you and that's that," his coach says in a flat tone. "Take a seat on the bench, Luke."

"This is so fucking unfair!" he shouts as he storms over to the sidelines, throwing his stick down on the ground as he rips his helmet off. The equipment managers near him jump.

Noah runs onto the field to take up his position, Luke glaring daggers at him as the ref blows the whistle to start the play. Unease settles in my stomach as the last five minutes of the game run out, the score board lighting up in big red letters as the whistle sounds.

"Do you need a ride, Emmy?" Ashton asks gently, setting a hand on my shoulder.

I nod, not taking my eyes off the field.

Luke is still fuming, snapping at the trainer when he tries to get close enough to look at his injured ankle.

"Don't worry about him, we got it," Ashton adds, following my line of sight. "Luke gets like this all the time."

"Why? What's his problem?"

Ashton shrugs. "It's always had something to do with his family. But he doesn't like to talk about them much."

Before I can press for any more information about Luke's family, Ashton clears his throat and gestures toward the parking lot. "Come on, it's getting late. I better get you home."

I sigh and start to follow him down the bleachers. Calum and Michael are already almost halfway around the field, headed for where Luke appears to be yelling at one of the coach's, his words lost in the shuffle of people leaving.

Ashton leads the way to his car, telling me about some stupid guy who spiked the punch at their prom last year. I'm not really paying attention, my thoughts still back on the lacrosse field with a certain blue eyed mystery I couldn't seem to figure out.

A/N: This one's a filler, sorry if it's a little rough

Hold on tight, folks, it only gets worse from here ;)

- A