- 39 -

Three years later

"Alright, Lace, I think I'm gonna head out," I tell my coworker Lacey I slip my apron over my head.

Lacey pretends to be annoyed that I'm leaving her to handle the afternoon traffic by herself, rolling her eyes at me as she hangs up my apron for me. 

"Leaving me to go hang out with your friends? I've never heard something so irresponsible," she teases.

I make a face at her as I let my hair down from its ponytail.

Between studying for my finals at the local college, managing to pay the rent on my apartment, and working at the coffee shop, I haven't had time to see my friends in weeks. When Natalie reached out to me, I almost said no. I didn't really want to see her hanging off of Michael, joined at the hip the way they've been ever since they started dating two years ago. 

But then I remembered that for the first time in three years, Luke is coming home. I haven't seen him since I left his hospital room two years ago and I'm reluctant to admit that some part of me has missed him.

My phone lights up with a new text.

From Natalie:

You still coming tonight?

I text back with a smile.

From Emmy:

Do I have a choice?

From Natalie:

No ;)

Too busy staring down at my phone, I run straight into someone, nearly knocking myself over.

"Sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going-"

The words die in my throat as I look up to meet familiar crystal blue eyes.

"Hey, Emmy," he says shyly, awkwardly shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Luke," I breathe. "What are you doing here?"

He blushes, ducking his head as if he's embarrassed. "I-I wanted to see you," he says. "Calum told me that you work here now so I-"

I bite down on my lip to hide my smile. "My shift just ended, actually." 

Going against my better judgement, I say, "Do you wanna get a coffee?"

Luke's answering smile could light up the cafe. "I'd love to."

Lacey gives me a strange look when I go and order two macchiatos, her eyes flashing to Luke waiting for me at a corner table. 

"Who's the hottie?" she whispers excitedly.

"My ex," I tell her, taking the drinks from her.

She lets out an appreciative whistle. "You can really pick 'em, Em. If he has any older brothers, tell them to hit me up."

I giggle, my thoughts going to Jack. "I think that can be arranged."

Luke takes his coffee from me as I sit down, his blue eyes curiously fixed on me. "So what have you been doing since I left?" he asks, taking a sip of his drink.

I play with the paper straw wrapper. "Finished up senior year, and now I'm taking classes at the local college. It's a few blocks from here and I've been renting an apartment on campus." I raise my eyes to his. "What about you?"