- 20 -

"Hey, wanna do something tonight?" Lindsay asks as we gather things to head to lunch.

I wrinkle my nose. Luke had texted me this morning saying he had somewhere he wanted to take me after school. "I can't, sorry. Rain check?"

Lindsay scoffs as we stop at her locker. "You're too busy, Emmy. What are you always off doing?"

I blush, remembering the feel of Luke's hands gliding over my skin. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"You'd be surprised."

I stuff my things in my locker, smiling as Calum passes us in the hall, giving me a big smile and a nod. I wave back as he disappears around the corner. It's weird, hanging out with the four biggest fuckboys in school. Every girl has their eyes set on these seniors and I get to know them the way they never will.

"Are you free tomorrow, then? If you're busy tonight?" Lindsay looks at me as if daring me to blow her off again.

I pick at a scab on my wrist. "I should be. What do you have in mind?"

She just grins. "It's a surprise."

I groan. "No, please, no more parties. And no strip clubs," I add, seeing the look in her eyes.

She scowls. "C'mon, you can't limit me like this! I need my possibilities!"

"Find your possibilities somewhere else. Preferably in a library."

We take a seat at our normal table.

Natalie smiles, offering me some of her chips seeing that I forgot my lunch today and I'm not desperate enough to go buy food today. Cafeteria food is sketchy.

"You guys down for something tomorrow?" Lindsay asks the rest of our friends, placing her hands on the table while her eyes sparkle with mischief. "Even Emmy's already agreed to do something with us and put off her busy schedule."

I roll my eyes, used to her drama by now.

Kayla frowns as she pushes her ranch around with a carrot. "I was supposed to go on a date with Ethan..."

"He'll be fine for one night," Linsay says, admiring one of her acrylic nails. "Come on, it'll be fun. Maybe you'll find someone hotter than boring old Ethan."

Kayla opens her mouth to defend her boyfriend when a movement over my shoulder distracts her.

"Hey," a familiar voice says in my ear, arms going around my waist.

"You're back!" I exclaim excitedly, jumping up and into Luke's arms.

After hanging out in Cal's basement, he decided to put off school a couple of days since he started experiencing a couple withdrawal symptoms not too long after I left. He didn't let me come over to see him no matter how much I protested, saying that he didn't want me to see him like that.

"I couldn't just leave you for any other guy to steal," he teases, tilting my face up to his, pressing our lips together.

I kiss him back, oblivious to the dozens of eyes I can feel glued to my back, wondering what I had done to earn his affection. I don't care about any of them. I'm just glad he's here. All week's been miserable, looking over at his empty table.

My friends' eyes look like they're about to fall out on the table.

I blush, ducking my head. 

The truth of where I've been these past few days is clear now. Lindsay gives me an appreciative look as she slides over a seat to give Luke somewhere to sit. He flashes her a smile as he sits, dragging my chair closer to his.