- 11 -

The library is my favorite place to do homework. It's silent, nothing but the occasional cough or the scratch of a pencil on paper. I bite my lip as I concentrate on a difficult math problem. Why do we even need Calculus unless we're going to be a math teacher? It all seems so pointless.

"Emmy, we need to talk."

I glance up as Luke sets his hands down on the table, his long fingers brushing the top of my textbook. I scowl and yank it towards me, slamming it shut loud enough that two people shush me and another shoots me a dirty look.

"I have nothing to say to you," I say as I throw my stuff into my bag and get to my feet, deciding to find somewhere else to do my school work.

Luke lunges around the table to grab my arm to hold me back, immediately letting go when I glare up at him. "Emmy, please."

"No." I spin around, jabbing my finger against his chest. "I know exactly who you are, Luke Hemmings. You play around with every girl and make them believe that you like them. But you break all of their hearts. I don't have time to put up with your shit. So just leave me the fuck alone."

Luke recoils, looking like I slapped him instead. "Em, c'mon, it's not like that-"

"Then tell me how it is, Luke," I snap, furious.

His blue eyes flicker to all the people glaring at us before he grabs my elbow and drags me behind a stack of books. He runs a hand through his hair, swallowing nervously. "Look, at first I was just playing around-"

I make a disgusted noise in the back of my throat and start to storm past him, but he catches my arm and holds me back.

"I'm not playing anymore, Emmy," he says. "I know I don't have the best past, but give me a chance. Please."

"Why should I trust you?" I hiss.

His blue eyes lock on mine. "You shouldn't."

"You're not making this any easier," I say, growing impatient.

"I know." He sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I know, Em, I'm sorry. Tell me you don't feel anything for me and I'll leave. I'll leave and you never have to speak to me again." His eyes are wide and pleading with me to just tell him the truth.

"Then I guess I can't tell you anything," I breathe. I can't lie to him. Not when he looks at me like that.

His expression melts and when he reaches out to me, I let him. I let him set his hands on my hips, pulling me close, his fingertips brushing the hem of my shirt to find a small strip of bare skin. I shiver as his nose nudges my jaw, tilting my face up. Everywhere he touches me feels like it's on fire.

Just before our lips meet, I move my head to the side so his mouth brushes my cheek.

"I don't think I can do this," I say, stepping out of his grasp.

"Emmy," Luke begs in a small voice. "Please. We can take it slow. I don't have to touch you at all. Just... stop avoiding me."

My breath seems to be stuck in my throat. "I... I need time."

He nods sadly, turning away from me. I watch him go, cursing myself. God, why did I ever think it would be a good idea to get close to Luke Hemmings?

A/N: Hey it's been awhile. How are you guys?

:-)

- A