Rejected apology

⚠️panic attack⚠️

Tony knew he would never apologize, he was America's asshole. The only thing he would ever apologize about would be accidentally hurting his hockey buck. This man, the same man who had killed Tony's parents. It infuriated Stark, so much that he almost killed Steve the second he stepped back into the tower. They had been pardoned, Tony didn't know why as he never really read anything shield sent him.

Tony being Tony, decided to be smug when they came back. He didn't know why he expected him to apologize, maybe he had too much faith in Captain America himself. Any faith was diminished after what happened.

Tony had been sitting in silence throughout the initial regroup. Steve, of course, was telling everybody what they would be doing. Tony just rolled his eyes, Steve thought he could control the tower that literally said Start on the side? Funny. About a half-hour passed and Steve still hadn't apologized, so Tony decided to be the bigger person and apologize to Steve.

Two words, bad. Idea.

"Look, Cap, I'm going to say it because you are not. I'm sorry for everything."

What Tony expected cap to say: "oh my gosh diddly darn it I forgot to apologize. I'm so terribly sorry the whole country is shunning me for I have sinned"

What Cap actually said: "Fuck off and Shut the Fuck up Stark" Tony was stunned, of course, he would be but he played it off.

"Geez, ok old man. I won't apologize for you next time"

"Did you not hear me say shut the fuck up? And this room is property of shield so I have the upper hand get out" Steve's face was blank, no emotion at all. Which kind of scared Tony.

If you know Tony Stark you know he's not going to give up that easily. "No" a simple word, which for some reason set Cap off. What the hell happened to mr patriotic?

He took a few steps forward, his face radiating anger and fury. He stepped into a punch and sent Tony across the room. When Tony landed his hand went to his Jaw instinctively, he couldn't open his mouth or move it. So he couldn't speak.

"About time you shut that annoying ass mouth of yours"

Tony shook, mouth stuck slightly agape. He couldn't freak out now, but he was reminded of being punched in the jaw before being waterboarded. He couldn't stop this one, all he could do was sit there in fear staring at the man he once looked up to. He couldn't breathe, and Steve seemed to notice, smirking he left the room. The others just stared in awe at what happened. Unfortunately, Nat wasn't there, as she was with Bruce working on something in Wakanda. Tony was stuck having a panic attack in a Room Full of people who hate him, this included Sam, Bucky, And Wanda. Now that he thought about it he didn't know why he went in the first place. It might have just been for the possible apology. He should've stayed in the lab.

Shakily, breathing fast and shallow he pushed himself up. Walked with a slight stumble, and headed out of the room. When he made it outside he heard the others laughing. Why did this remind him of high school? Great, not he can't breathe because of the memories of his father's neglectment towards him in high school as he focused on finding the man who started all this.

It was a stroke of luck that Nick Fury was in the room he stumbled into. He was on the phone and looked mad for a moment before he actually looked at Tony. He saw his bruised jaw, shaking hands and fast breaths, and when Tony fell he was there to catch him.

"Hey, Stark What happened?" When Tony didn't respond, because of his jaw, he asked Friday, "what happened Fri?"

"Mr Stark tried to apologize to Captain Rogers which resulted in an aggressive and vulgar outburst from Rogers. Then when Rogers told Mr Stark to leave the room Tony said No because it is his tower and Rogers punched Mr Stark in the jaw fracturing it rendering him unable to speak. Sir then proceeded to have a panic attack and stumbled out of the room and into here"

"Jesus, thanks Friday. Get Steven in here right fucking now. Just breathe, Tony we're gonna figure this out."

"I-" Tony groaned, his jaw incredibly painful.

"Don't talk, it'll make it worse. Just breathe through your nose, nice and steady"

"You wanted to talk Nick" Steve said walking into the room. Looking disgusted when he saw Tony.

"First of all its Director to you asshat, and second who in the hell gave you the right to an outburst, when Tony was trying to apologize?"

"I don't, what?!"

"Don't play dumb with me Rogers, if you don't tell me who the hell you think you are I will set Coulson on you, there's one thing he loves more than you and that's tony. You may have seen his old Captain America card set, but you haven't seen his office. I don't think anyone has more red and gold in a twelve by twelve room anywhere in the nine realms."

Steve looked shocked and slightly scared. "Look I'm sorry I didn't expect him to apologize, I was preparing myself for him to argue and try to fight the whole way here. So I kind of acted on impulse"

"Well, when Tony here wakes up you can apologize to him. If you'll excuse me I have to get him checked out, he seems to have a fractured jaw" Fury's glare burned brighter than the dying star that created Thor's hammer. Steve actually shrunk into himself a little.

When Tony woke up, Steve apologizing was strange but not awe full. And if Fury was a little nicer to him than Steve he didn't care. Somewhere deep down he knew there was a reason. Fury always had a reason.