12

I continued the rest of the school day stuck inside of my head. It was hard to pay attention in the rest of my classes. Athena and I didn't really say a word to each other after I finished crying. I couldn't face her after that. I just left.

I felt so much peace being in her arms and in her presence. It felt so good to just have someone there for me, but I also feel bad. What if she didn't have the mental capacity to deal with me? Maybe I should apologize.

I get my car keys ready and walk into the parking lot. As I got closer to my parking spot I noticed Willow standing by herself near my car. Her book bag was hanging off one shoulder. She was looking around until she noticed me. I felt my stomach dip. Is her girlfriend somewhere nearby or something?

I wasn't planning on interacting with anyone else today after saving Tommy's ass and crying to Athena. Too much happened today and I don't think I can take any more.

"Nova ..." She said quietly. She looked ... nervous for some reason. It made me even more anxious.

"Hey ... are you okay?" I asked.

She brushed her hair behind her ears, "I'm fine — thank you. Um, this is so sudden, but can we hang out or something?"

"Oh, uh—"

She shook her head, "Unless you have something already planned? That's fine. I know this is so ... random."

"What? No. It's okay," I paused. "Is your girlfriend okay with ..."

"We're um, no longer together," She said quietly. "So ..."

Well, that was fast.

"Shit. Um, yeah, get in. We'll park by the harbor or something," I unlocked my car. "And talk. If you want."

"Thank you," She said while walking to the passenger side.

I got in the car. Willow was settled inside, looking out the window. I assume she needs a friend and someone to vent too. I want to ask when this break up happened, but I'm not going to. I'm sure she'll tell me if she wants to.

I get the car started and pull out of the parking lot. It's been a very long time since Willow sat in the passenger seat of my car. At one point she was the only person sitting beside me. My old friends would sit in the back.

Driving like this with her brings me back to the past that feels like it was so long ago. We didn't really say anything to each other the whole car ride. There was some traffic due to everyone else getting out of school around this time, but I parked by the harbor.

I left the car on and kept the AC at room temperature. I clicked my seatbelt off and Willow did the same. Another awkward silence fell between us. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say something first. I kinda don't want too.

She eventually spoke first, "I guess she thought it was a perfect time to get into a relationship. She thought she was over her ex."

I stood quiet, feeling bad.

"We broke up a few days ago. It hurts, but ... I don't know. It made me realize that there's still some closure I need myself."

I quickly got where she was going with this. She's about to ask me what happened. And I have no choice but to tell her the truth.

"What happened to you?" She asked. "Why did you disappear the way you did? How did you even manage to come back?"

I sighed, going through everything that happened over the past two years in my head.