27

I put on a pair of jeans and a white long sleeve shirt. My hair was a wavy mess due to my recent shower and I didn't feel like putting any products in it at the moment.

I got in my car and drove away from my vacant house. When I arrived outside of Athena's place, I sat in my car for a few moments to gather my thoughts.

If we're going to finish this conversation once and for all, that means we need to do it now or else there will be more days like today.

I got out of my car and checked my surroundings, making sure there was no one out here. I didn't have a hood to hide my identity so coming out here without one feels like a bit of a risk.

I quickly ran across the street and knocked on Athena's door. She wasn't in the best mood leaving school today and to prevent that from happening anymore, I decided to pay her a visit to settle this.

The door unlocked and opened slowly. Athena poked out in a fuzzy cream robe she held close to her body. Her hair was up and it looked damp. I can only assume she's naked under that. Normally her beauty would've sidetracked me, but I'm trying to keep myself grounded.

I cleared my throat, "I know I keep showing up randomly and I'm sorry. I just wanna settle this. For good."

She didn't say anything. Instead, she let me in and quickly closed her door. I took my favorite spot on the couch and waited for her to join me. Her Mac was on the coffee table alongside her large navy blue binder of papers. It looks like she was doing some work before I got here.

She sat down beside me, her body angled in my direction.

I sighed, "I'm sorry. I know you hate when I say that, but ... I don't know what else to say. Or do. Today I felt guilty. I feel guilty about everything. For popping up when I shouldn't. For getting you into my bullshit. For having you risk everything you've ever worked for,"

"Nova, none of this is your fault. And you need to stop putting the blame on yourself. I'd be such a selfish person if I even let you take the blame," She responded. "This is my doing. And I let my feelings dictate this situation. It's my fault for letting this go on. It's my fault for kissing you. It's my fault for everything. I don't know what I want to do. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't look forward to our lunch period ... if I said I didn't enjoy every time you came around and kept me company. You make my days easier."

"Athena I ... I think that's the nicest thing I've ever been told in a long time," I admitted. And nothing made me feel like smiling more than hearing her appreciate me. "Thank you."

"I'm being honest," She said softly and I could tell she was being genuine. It was making her more appealing. She crossed a leg over the other and was kicking it aimlessly. Was she anxious like me?

I raked my hand through my hair, flipping it to the other side. I didn't know what else to say. The longer I was sitting next to her the more distracted I was getting. I think she's feeling the same way because she started fidgeting with her fingers.

"You alright?" I asked.

She nodded, "Yeah, just ... today was a strange day you know?"

I leaned back into the couch, making myself comfortable, "How so?"

She answered, "I don't know, I just woke up today and I felt that it wasn't going to be a good day. Little things were annoying me all day. My thoughts were louder than usual ... that kinda thing."

"I'm sorry if I made it worse," I replied. Knowing my luck, I probably did.

She shook her head, "It wasn't you. Sometimes you just wake up and it's you versus the world ... and your emotions."