43

I was getting ready for school. Organizing my bag and finishing the last of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich I made for myself. I sighed softly, trying to mentally prepare myself for the day.

Athena and I have continued to try and develop some sort of plan — anything. I've finished multiple school applications already, spending over two hundred dollars of my Dad's money in just a matter of days.

I have a large list of expenses for apartments and studios, hoping to end up somewhere not too bad. Living in a city is expensive. Living in an area where everything is close by is almost just as expensive. Small towns are okay, but they're small, lackluster and everyone knows everyone.

All of it was overwhelming and almost demotivating. Especially because Athena wasn't on my side. No matter how she tried to put it, that was just the reality. It had only been a few days, but it felt like I was running out of time.

I arrived at school, Tommy waiting for me in our usual spot as I drove past him. I got into my parking space and shut my car off, lugging my bag out with me.

"Hey beautiful," He said.

"Morning," I replied dryly. My eyes were tired from staring at a screen majority of the night.

His eyes scanned me, "Why the longer face?"

We began walking side by side to the front entrance, "Just tired Tommy. All this research for college is ... fucking exhausting."

"Yeah, I have to start doing that stupid stuff soon. Parents keep bringing it up ... how are you and Ms. Frost?"

"Um ... fine, I guess."

"Well that wasn't convincing," His tone sarcastic.

I waved it off, not ready to explain myself, "Tommy I don't want to talk about it — or anything for that matter. I'm tired."

He gently bumped my arm with his elbow, "Whatever it is, you don't have to hide it anymore. You can talk to me."

"Soon," I said just to shut him up. "I'll tell you soon."

"Fine," He dropped the topic, thankfully.

At this point, nothing Tommy could say would actually help me. I need advice from someone who's been through a similar situation, but I doubt I know anyone with this sort of experience. It was beyond frustrating.

I knew that moving in was a gigantic leap. Most people would probably be afraid of something like this, but one of my biggest fears in life had already happened. I lost my mother. At this point I don't think anything could get scarier than that — moving in with Athena couldn't even come close.

I felt in my gut that we could pull it off. I'm willing to do just about anything to make it work.

A headache was developing behind my eyes. I was in need of a nap and mental rest.

My classes passed by in a blur. I was running on autopilot, trying not to think or pay attention to this dull and monotonous routine.

I didn't bother knocking on Athena's door. I quietly slipped inside. She was staring out the large window by her desk.

"What's the view like?" I asked curiously, never actually peeking through those blinds of the room. They're usually closed whenever we're in class.

"It's ... no Paris, but ... eh," She shrugged.

I stood next to her, peaking out at the rest of the school. It really wasn't the greatest view, we could only see part of the parking lot, "Definitely not Paris."