57

A nice grey vest, a new white button-down shirt, and matching grey dress pants that I got tailored ended up being what I bought for my graduation outfit.

My Dad and I went shopping over the weekend and my cap and gown came in the mail yesterday. He was extremely excited, talking about how he was going to take me out to dinner after the graduation and take a lot of pictures of me. He went on and on about getting my senior pictures ordered before moving so whenever we did move, he'd have them ready to hang up on his wall.

But I couldn't be excited about that right now.

I was happy that finals were over, but there was still so much work to be done. And right now, the only thing on my mind was how I was going to tell my Dad that I had fallen in love with my Government-Economics teacher and the fact that we were in a relationship.

I didn't know how he was going to react. I couldn't possibly gauge something like this. I'm sure no parent expects their child to bring home their highschool teacher.

I wish there was a way I could lie and hold off until after graduation — or lie forever — but that wasn't possible. My father was already expecting Athena to walk the stage too and he'll be pretty fucking lost as to why she was sitting with the other teachers and staff instead of getting her diploma.

I knew I didn't have a choice and as much as wanted Athena next to me right now, I had to do this on my own.

"My parents would fucking freak," Tommy laughed.

I scowled, You're not helping asshole."

"Nova, you're dating one of our teachers. You kissed, had sex, and fell in love. You were unsavable from the beginning."

"This wasn't my plan."

"I don't think anyone's plan is to fall in love with their second-period teacher in high school, yet here we are."

I glared at him, "Can you not?"

"At least you have love in your life! Some of us are still here beating off by ourselves!"

I went to the kitchen, where my Dad was cooking dinner for us. He's been home more often lately, but also just as alone because I've been at Athena's house.

He had on a white tank top and shorts with slippers. He recently just got a hair cut, so he looks freshened up and clean.

"What's on the menu tonight?" I asked.

"Chicken ceaser salad with quinoa," He answered while looking over his shoulder.

Damn, that's good.

"Wow, that's great," I pulled out a chair and sat down. And here I was, ready to ruin the mood. "You seem to be putting the extra time into the kitchen."

"More time for Dad, more time for good food," He replied while walking over to the refrigerator. "How's Athena doing?"

"Oh, she's good. Um, actually I've been meaning to talk to you about ... that," I scratched the back of my neck.

He had a bag of lettuce in his hand, closing the refrigerator door. He brought his gaze to me, looking a little worried, "Oh, okay. What's uh, going on? Everything alright?"

I sighed softly, "No, yeah, everything is good. Great, I think, but um, I have something to confess to you? I guess."

"Confess?" He repeated. "Confessions aren't always good things so I'm hoping what you're about to tell me is good."

"It's not good but it's not baaad ..."

Oh it's probably so bad.

"Nova."