48

There was background noise. Noise at the lowest level possible. If I wasn't focusing so hard while half asleep I wouldn't have noticed it, of course.

A door was shut, which I assumed was one of the doors in the room. Then there was silence again. I was on my stomach, breathing hard. I could feel the lack of Athena's presence. Until I felt her sink into the bed.

I blindly tried to reach for her. My hand landed on her pillow. I heard her chuckle quietly in amusement. Then I felt her lips on my knuckles. She kissed them.

"Happy birthday, Nova," She said sweetly. "I was going to jump on you, but you looked extremely comfortable."

I slowly opened my eyes. My vision was blurry for a few moments, then I could easily make out that Athena was in her favorite robe. Her hair also looked damp.

I smiled, her brown eyes soft, my voice all kinds of weird, "Did I miss the opportunity to join you in the shower?"

She stretched herself like a cat toward me. Her chin resting on her palms with her elbows digging into the bed, "Yes. I also woke up at six. I've been awake on my laptop since."

"Sheesh. What time is it?"

"Nine."

I closed my eyes, "I should probably get up and get ready then ..."

"Take your time. It's your day."

I stretched my arms out over my head, holding the position for a few moments. I groaned, feeling my blood beginning to rush through my body, my spine cracking a little.

I rolled over on my back, but then I was bombarded by a fluffy robe and warm hands holding my face, gentle kisses all over.

"Happy—" A kiss on my forehead. "Birthday—" Another kiss on my eyebrow. "My—" My nose. "Twenty—" My cheek. "Year—" The corner of my mouth. "Old!"

I laughed, wrapping my arms around her. The fluff of her robe so soft. She pushed some of my hair out of my face, "Ugh, I'm so excited for your day."

"Mmm, it's not that big of a deal."

She planted a kiss on my lips, which I barely returned because morning breath, "It is to me. You're lucky to have this ball this enthusiasm by your side."

I wiggled my eyebrows, she scoffed and gently took my nose between the joints of her fingers, pulling on it a little, "Breakfast?"

"Yes, please. Where to?"

"There's a Waffle House down the street. A few diner's, Denny's, IHOP. The usual."

"Mmmm ... Waffle House sounds so good right now,"

"Waffle House it is birthday girl. The water pressure is amazing in there, so enjoy."

"I'd enjoy it if you got in with me," I remarked.

She pecked my lips again, "Raincheck for later?"

"Fine," I pouted.

Getting ready took no time at all, though I did want to remain in the shower. Athena was right, the water pressure was out of this world. The hot water did justice in waking me up.

Athena wore light blue jeans and a graphic tee that hugged her torso. It didn't fit her completely, the shirt stopping just above her navel. She was so effortlessly sexy.

I didn't want to be the only one dressed up, so I put something causal on of the same sort. She wanted me to leave my hair loose so I did. Anything to appear attractive in her eyes. I loved the thought of being her personal eye candy.