1. Of Pies And Rent

Scarlet

Beep. Beep. Beep.

As soon as the timer went off, I wore the oven mitts in my hands and pulled the Banoffee pie out of the oven. The particular aroma of the heavenly pie filled my small bakery and I mentally patted myself for another mouth-watering creation of mine.

"Liam, can you please pack it? Cara will be here to pick it soon. I need to check the groceries." I said to my employee and more importantly, my best friend in the entire world. We have been best friends since our childhood and now even when both of us were 25, our friendship was still going strong.

"Sure, Boss," Liam winked at me and I glared mischievously in return. He knew I hated this word but that never stopped him from using it.

Liam and I ran my little bakery Biscotti together. Although I was the one who rented this place with some money my mother had left me, managing it would be impossible without Liam's help. He was my head chef because he had taken a culinary course, just so he could help me run it.

While I was checking the grocery, I heard a sweet voice that I instantly recognised. Cara Parker was the sweetest kid ever, with her long blonde hair, chubby cheeks and big blue eyes. She was like a little ball of joy, who always brightened my day with her huge smile.

Immediately, I left the kitchen and made my way to the counter where she was silently drooling over the fudge brownies, her fingers wrapped around a woman's wrist.

From the last two months, I have always seen Cara with her babysitter Geena. But this time, she was with someone else. The woman looked like in her late forties, her dark hair gracefully tied in a bun. She was wearing a decent plum dress that accentuated her slim figure and tall built.

"Cara," I shifted my attention to the little girl. Her eyes shone in excitement when she noticed me and her grin widened.

"Scarlet," she waved at me excitedly. "Did you make my Ban... Ban..."

"Banoffee pie?" I asked and she nodded. "Yes sweetheart. It's ready." I said and asked Liam to give her the box.

While Liam charmed Cara with his pearly smile, I turned to the woman and passed her a brief smile.

"Hello, Scarlet. I am Cara's grandmother, Catheryn. My granddaughter seems to be very fond of you." The women said in a gentle voice.

I blushed at her words. "It's really nice to meet you, Catheryn. Cara is an extremely well-mannered child." I said, looking towards Cara who was giggling at something Liam said. No matter if its a child, adult or an old woman, Liam always manages to make the female population giggle.

"I am sure she is," she said and cast a glance at Cara. Something flickered inside her eyes, something sad.

"Scarlet, what will you bake me next?" Cara hopped towards me excitedly, holding the box containing pie close to her chest.

"Um... Let me think, what about macarons next time?" I asked, lowering myself to her level.

"Pink ones?" she asked.

"Yeah, pink ones." I replied and tucked her free hair behind her ear.

"Thank you Scarlet," she smiled sheepishly.

"You are welcome, my dear. But don't forget to brush your teeth after eating this pie." I said to her and she nodded.

After Catheryn paid for the pie, both of them left the bakery and I went back inside the kitchen to bake some chocolate chip cookies for the aisle.

..........

It was 9 in the evening, the time to close Biscotti. We had only twenty customers today and another day passed when we couldn't achieve our target curstomer number. It was because a branch of a popular coffee shop had opened up right in front of my small bakery and most of the people now preferred to go there.

Liam and I were sitting on the floor, against the counters, waiting for another curstomer. I had allowed both helpers to leave early for home today because there was nothing to do for them.

A very heated discussion about a common friend's break-up was going on between us. According to Liam, it was better to never fall in love because love can lead to depression, anxiety and other health issues.

"Yes, heartbreak is a tragedy. But you know what is a bigger tragedy? Never falling in love." I said as I crossed my legs and rested my elbows on my legs.

Liam's brown eyes narrowed in disagreement as he ran his fingers through his silky brown hair. "It doesn't work like that, Scar. Girls nowadays just care about their looks and insta stories while boys are only looking for fuck buddies. True love is getting rare these days." he tried to make me understand.

"But I think if there is even a single person out there loving someone whole-heartedly, every one of us still has the chance of finding the one." I defended my stance.

He sighed and rolled his eyes, resting his side against the glass counter. "You're a hopeless romantic Scarlet. Sometimes, your innocence makes me worried." he whispered.

"I am not naive, Liam. You don't have to be worried for me." I moved forwards and ruffled his hair. "And I'm fine with being an optimist. The world needs people like me." I added with a grin.

"Indeed," he smiled.

We were busy in our conversation when the door opened and someone walked in. Hoping to find a customer, I stood up but my smile wiped off when I found the landlord instead, glaring at me with his almond shaped eyes.

"Hi Tank, I was about to call you." I said.

"Where's the rent?" he said, coming straight to the point.

"Yeah, about that. I just want few more days because---" My words got caught in my throat when he took some long strides and reached me. Beside me, Liam stood up to protect me but I motioned him to stop.

"Listen Scarlet, I am done with you. You have a new excuse ready after every few months. So if you won't give my rent by the next Saturday, you can kiss your bakery goodbye." he gritted and I shifted in my place uncomfortably.

"Just give me another month. I had to buy new appliances with the earnings last month so I don't have any money now. Please Tank, just another month." I requested in the gentlest voice possible.

"Sorry sweetheart but I am not giving you one minute after Saturday. Arrange the money before that or leave this place." he said in an unemotional voice and then walked out of this place.

After he left, I sat down in one of the seats and hid my face in between my palms. "What will I do now?" I whispered. This bakery was like a child to me and the thought of losing it felt like a shard in my chest.

"We will find a way," Liam said, patting my shoulder but I knew there was no way I could save it now.

___________________

How was the first chapter?

What do you think about our female protagonist, Scarlet?