19. Shopping Buddies

Scarlet

Last night, he made me cry. I haven't cried in a very long time but he managed to hurt me with his words. Did he hate me that much? I have been nothing but patient with him and he said all those bitter words, as if my feeling doesn't matter.

Right now, I was contemplating between going into the dining room or running out of the house. The latter wasn't exactly an option because Cara was still in the bathroom and she would be out any minute now.

Gathering all the courage, I finally made my way to the dining table and when I saw him already sitting there, my mood soured. I dragged myself to the seat beside him and sat down, without acknowledging him. If he thought he could insult me just because I am a sweet person, he had another thing coming.

"Good morning." His voice reached me and it took me a lot of power to not reply like a courteous person. I just kept my eyes focused on my empty plate, waiting for Kelly to give me something to eat.

"Good morning, Scarlet," he repeated and I turned my face away.

"Don't be a child, Scarlet. Look at me." he ordered this time and my anger peaked.

"Now I am being a child?" I seethed. "Anything else you would like to add to my personality traits."

"Scarlet---"

"I don't know why you think that marrying you was a dream come true for me. No, it was not. I am not exactly elated but you don't hear me complaining. That's because I know that if I am a sad pessimist all day, it would make the people around me sad as well. And I don't want my bad mood to affect anyone else. If that means I need to have a permanent smile plastered on my face, then I will." I don't know why but I just exploded at him. His face told me that he hadn't expected me to say all this, and neither had I.

"Are you done now?" he said, staring deep into my eyes. I kept myself silent in response. "I just wanted to tell you that I have kept a card of a party planner on the night stand. Call her and don't worry about the expenses. I'll deal with that later."

Embarrassment filled me first on listening to his words but it was then replaced by excitement, previous anger evaporating. "So are we planning a party for Cara?"

"No, you are. I won't be joining. I have some work that day." he said and half the excitement lost. It would mean so much to Cara if his father would join it too but I knew better than forcing him to come. So I just nodded and continued eating.

..........

It was Saturday, the day before Cara's birthday. All the plannings were completed. The plan was that Catheryn would take Cara to her house and then the team of our party planner would decorate the whole house.

Right now, Liam, Helena and I were sitting in the food court of the mall to buy gifts for Cara. The initial plan as to bring Liam but my friend who was apparently in love with Helena Grey, insisted me to invite her as well. I bought a dollhouse for her and they said it would be delivered to our house by tomorrow.

"I'd gift her a Louis Vuitton mini handbag." Helena said and both Liam and I turned to stare at her.

"You do know she's turning five?" I grinned.

"Who says she can't turn five in style."
Helena chuckled. My eyes darted to Liam who had a hint of pink on his cheeks. I have never seen him this quite before. He was just being silent and catching glances at Helena every now and then.

"You are a genius," I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes.

"Am I? What do you think, Liam? Am I a genius?" she asked him with a smirk.