11. The First Party

Evan

After styling my hair with the gel, I completed my look with a grey tie. Tonight was our reception. As the wedding was very simple, we had to organise a big reception to invite everyone who couldn't attend the ceremony.

I was spraying some perfume on me when the door to my room knocked. "Sir, everybody is waiting downstairs." George came to inform me.

"We will be there soon." I told him and after he left the room, I knocked on the door joining the room to closet.  "Are you done, Scarlet?" I asked.

A grunt came from inside, which was followed by her exhausted voice. "Yes. The dress... It's just... Um... I'll be out in a minute."

Rolling my eyes, I walked towards my desk and picked up a finance report. While I was busy assessing it, the sound of door opening reached my ears.

I lifted my head to give her a brief look but on seeing her, an unexpected gasp escaped my mouth. I didn't realise that I was gaping at her, with my mouth slightly parted and my gaze froze on her.

She looked radiating in the rose gold dress, her presence illuminating the entire room. The dress hugged her slender figure and flowed down her ankle. The deep neckline gave a hint of her cleavage and structured collar bones. Kelly had styled her hair in  loose brown curls, that made them look bouncy and glossy. Her simple yet shimmery makeup enhanced her features and she ended up look stunning.

The blush on her face told me that I had been staring at her for too long. Tearing my eyes off her, I walked out of the room and asked her to accompany me.

"We should act like a couple in love. If anyone become suspicious of this marriage just being a compromise, it won't be good for my reputation." I said and moved closer to her. When we finally reached the entrance of the hall, I put my hand on the small of her waist and her breath hitched at this, her chest heaving up and down.

Everyone pair of eyes turned towards us, some with admiration, some with adoration, some with a hint of bitterness.

Beside me, Scarlet was standing stiff. Probably being the centre of attention was something she wasn't used to. So I leaned towards her and whispered, "Don't freak out. Just imagine these people with rainbow hair." Hearing this, she turned to me with furrowed eyebrows and I shrugged. That was how I conquered my fear of being in a crowd.

"Aww. You look amazing, Scarlet." Mom came towards us and moved forwards to hug her.

"Yes Scarlet. I mean, Mama. You look so pwetty." Cara also joined the session and praised Scarlet. I wonder why this girl had my family wrapped around her little finger. Maybe it had something to do with her bright smile, or maybe the way she smelled, as if you have stepped into a lawn full of flowers, but with a baking oven in the middle. Weird.

"Come on, I have to introduce you to some people." I said and took her hand in mine, tugging her along me.

I led her to some of my business partners. Scarlet easily mingled with everyone because of her friendly and sweet nature but I didn't ignore how some men stared at her from head to toe. And I also didn't ignore how it made my blood boil.

"Won't you introduce her to me?" I heard a familiar voice. It was Helena, swaying towards us in a deep red mermaid gown. Her arms were linked with one of her eye-candies. Helena used to date a lot of models and she changed them like her bedsheets, if she ever changed the bedsheets herself. Every party, she was with a new pretty face but that didn't stop her from showing her interest in me.

"Scarlet, meet Helena. My business partner." I told Scarlet who extended her hand for a shake.

Instead of shaking her hand, Helena moved forwards to envelop her in a hug. "Just a business partner?" she said and I felt my face pale. I didn't want her to feed any nonsense to Scarlet. "Don't listen to the business partner bullshit. I'm his friend, Scarlet." she said, causing me to roll my eyes again.

"Let's go," I pulled Scarlet away and Helena gave me a sour look at this.

"It's nice to meet you, Helena." Scarlet said loudly while I almost dragged her to a corner.

"Ignore her. She is a little irritating." I told her and took a glass of wine from a waiter.

"An old girlfriend?" she asked, looking quite curious.

I gave her a look and she silenced immediately. "No, just a friend who always wanted us to be more."

"Well, can you blame her?" she whispered but I heard it anyway. Comprehending what she meant, I turned my attention to her and she turned red in return.

"I mean... Well... Um..." She looked so cute as she became a stuttering mess.

To relieve her of the anxiety, I changed the topic of our conversation and motioned towards a tall blonde dancing with an old man in the middle of a floor. "See that woman, she is the sole heir of Platinum Jewelers. Her dress alone worth a million."

"I didn't know you like to gossip." she grinned beside me and earned another frown from me.

"Aren't you the purest soul?" I said sarcastically and she scrunched her small button nose in anger.

"I don't gossip." she defended herself.

"Of course you don't." I taunted and she glared at me. "You are the most innocent person ever graced the face of Earth. Right?" I kept my face straight so nobody would doubt we were having a little argument.

"Am I hearing right? Was it a lame attempt of cracking a joke, Mr. Workaholic?" she retorted with a fake smile.

"What did you say?" I narrowed my eyes at her on hearing the nickname. It wasn't the first time I was hearing someone call me that word. But well, I was proud of being a hard worker and no amount of mocking will change my morale.

"Stop bickering and go to the dance floor before everybody notices something is off between the newly married couple." My mother's annoyed voice suddenly came from behind us and we both jumped up in surprise.

Scowling as subtly as I can, I extended my hand for Scarlet. She took it in her small ones and we both silently trudged towards the centre of the hall. The lights here were dim and there were many couples dancing around us.

Scarlet stood in front of me nervously. I was the one who initiated the contact and moved towards her. Keeping my eyes on her deep, brown orbs, I put one hand on her waist and laced my fingers with her dainty ones with the other hand.

"Just copy my movements." I said as I pulled her closer. Up close, she looked even more beautiful. Her eyes that just appeared brown from a distance were slightly hazel from close.

I moved her with me in the rhythm of the song, feeling the warmth of her skin through the thin material of the dress. She felt so small in my arms and the urge to keep holding her filled my mind. What the hell was wrong with me?

_________________________

Scarlet's dress