39. All Shades Of Evan

Scarlet

"So is this place final?" Gabe asked me as he noted everything the real estate agent had told us.

"I can't think of a reason why not." I whispered, staring around me in awe. I still couldn't believe Evan was helping me buy a place of my own for the bakery. I won't have to care about the rent or any degradation. I had no idea how I would make it up to him for his favour.

This place was few block away from my last bakery so I won't have to disappoint my regular customers. Plus, this one was bigger and far more lavish than the last one. Despite the modern architecture, it had a traditional look in it, just how I like.

"The rest of the work will be done by our interior decorator. I'll ask him to meet you and you can tell him all your requirements." Gabe told me.

"Thanks." I said.

"My pleasure." he smiled. "Besides, it is my job to facilitate you and sir."

"Okay, I should go now. The driver is waiting for me." I said and made my way to the car. Evan had ordered me this morning to go with the driver wherever I want instead of calling a cab. My husband was one stubborn man and when he is not in mood, he doesn't listen to anyone.

The driver drove me back to the house. It was still early in the evening. Cara was out playing with her friend and Evan hadn't returned yet from office. I decided to cook the dinner tonight for the three of us and gave Kelly and George an off so that they can go enjoy a little.

I decided to go a little fancy tonight and decided to make Garlic butter steak with mashed potatoes, stirred vegetables. I knew Evan loved eating steaks so I braced myself for putting all my effort in the dinner.

By the time I cooked everything, I heard the door knock. Before I could reach the door, Cara had already made her way towards the door to open it as George wasn't there.

Evan appeared through the door and when he lowered his head to find Cara grinning, he picked her up in his arms. I smiled as I saw them together. Evan was wrong; any wall can be broken with some effort.

"I'll serve the dinner and you can go freshen up if you want. I gave Kelly and George off tonight." I told him when he noticed me standing. He nodded and then lowered Cara back to the floor, making his way to our room.

By the time he returned, I had set the table for all three of us. I served steak, mashed potatoes and stirred vegetables in all three plates and then picked up some fresh flowers from the garden behind the kitchen to set them in the middle of the table.

"What's the occasion?" he asked, drawing his eyebrows closer.

"Nothing. Why? Can't I cook dinner without any occasion?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"You can," A corner of his mouth lifted while he sat down and took a sniff off the flowers. I seated on one side of him while Cara adjusted herself on the other side.

"Cara, can I slice your steak for you?" I asked because Cara always had difficulty with using knife and fork.

"I will do it myself." she said in a determined voice and mimicked me as I picked up both utensils.

I looked at Evan to see his reaction on the steak. His face visibly relaxed as he took the knife and he closed his eyes briefly, a sign that he liked it and my heart filled with joy. He wasn't a man of much words and he often depicts his mood with such small gestures.

"It's nice." he said and continued eating.

Cara was struggling in handling the knife. I offered to help her but she was firm in her decision of doing it herself. Like father, like daughter.

It was Evan who finally offered to teach her and she agreed to his help instantly. He held her small hands with his large ones and positioned the knife and fork in correct position.

"Like this," he guided her hands and helped her slice a small piece of steak. Then he let her try again and this time, she succeeded in doing it correctly. I was silently watching all of this, smiling at their cute actions.

After the dinner was over, I expected all three of us to sit there and have some quality time but Evan stood up and told us that he had some work to do. I pouted as I saw him making his way to our room.

"Why is Daddy always so busy?" Cara asked, finishing the last of vegetables off her plate.

"Because Daddy is a big businessman. He runs a big company and he is really hardworking." I told her and she looked like she was trying her best to understand. "Tell me Cara, do you want to be a businesswoman when you grow up?"

"No, because then I won't have enough time to spend with you or Daddy." she said and I beamed proudly at her response. "I want to a baker like you." she added.

I placed my palm over her hand and massaged it gently. "Your dad loves you a lot, Cara. He does everything for you. Do you understand this?" I asked. She nodded hesitantly, unsure of what to reply. "He just isn't very expressive."

"Ex... Expre.. Expersive?" she stuttered.

"Expressive. It means he just doesn't know how to express his love for you." I told her and she nodded.

"Does Daddy love you too?" she asked me and my mouth opened wide.

"Um... Well..." I forced my mind to think of a possible answer but failed badly. I didn't want to find the answer to this question because if it was in negative, it would shatter my heart. "I... Um... I don't know actually."

"I think he does. He smiles when he looks at you. He never smiled before you came." she said innocently and my cheeks burned up at this. I blushed as I stood up and asked her to come with me so I could tuck her on her bed.

"Do you love Daddy?" she asked as she walked behind me with small steps.

I once again became quiet because I had nothing to say. Did I love him? I don't know. But I do know that whenever I am with him, my heart starts beating at a faster speed and my sweat glands become overactive.

"I do like him. Sometimes liking a person is more than enough." I replied briefly.

Once we reached her room, we cozied ourselves under the warm blanket. I told her about my day and then she told me about hers. We were in the middle of talking when her eyes started turning droopy. She was trying her best to stay awake but soon, she gave in to sleep and snuggled deeper into the blanket.

Placing a small kiss on her forehead, I hopped out of the bed and made my way to our room. Evan was sitting on the bed, working on his laptop without acknowledging my presence. I hated his mood when he was busy in some work. He forgets about everyone around him and keeps his focus on only his laptop or files. I prefer when he teases me or acts mischievously but well, this Evan comes free with that Evan so I will have to bear with it.

I walked past the bed into the closet. Taking off the dress, I changed into my light pink color nightie and did my skincare routine which consisted of just a night cream. I had grown used to wearing such nightwear because they feels smooth against my skin and keeps me cold under the warm blanket. So few earlier this week, I went back to that store and bought two more.

I was about to wear the matching gown over the nightie when a mischievous idea ran through my mind. It was dangerous and I could end up Infuriating Evan but I was ready to take the risk, just so I could see the look on Evan's face. At least that would take his big head out of that damn laptop.

With that thought in mind, I threw the nightgown away and walked out of the closet in just the nightie.

_______________________

Who wants Evan's POV in the next chapter?