18. The Fucked Up World

Evan

It took me a lot more time to get free than I had thought. When I finally trudged back to my office, I found Scarlet sitting on my chair; her head rested on the desk silently and her eyes closed. Her soft snores were filling the room, urging me to smile at her sleeping figure.

Sighing, I walked inside and my eyes landed on the pie placed on the table. My stomach decided to grumble at the sight because I hadn't eaten anything except the three cups of coffee since morning.

Sitting on the couch, I decided to take a small bite. I opened the box and there was already a fork in it. Sticking the fork in the slice, I took a bite and the minute it reached my tastebuds, my eyes closed on the heavenly taste.

She was an excellent baker and if I kept eating her desserts, I would soon be diabetic. But that didn't stop me from digging my fork in it again. I wanted to stop after just one bite but my hunger got the best of me and I ended up eating the whole slice.

After I was done satisfying my appetite, I stood up and walked towards Scarlet. I called her name twice but she didn't wake up. One thing I have realised about her during all this time was that she was a heavy sleeper. You can play drums near her but it won't affect her sleep.

My eyes shifted to the clock and it was getting late. Cara must be waiting for Scarlet to get home. These days, Cara was getting too used to Scarlet's presence and it was kind of terrifying how much my daughter loved her. What if some day, Scarlet finds love and she decided to end this marriage?

Shaking my head to get rid of these thoughts, I patted her arm and she snuggled deeper instead of waking up. Groaning at last, I snaked one arm under her neck and the other one under her knees, to pick her up.

She weighed less than I had imagined. Keeping her close to me, I made my way out of my office. She felt so soft in my arms and her feminine scent was filling my nostrils.

While I entered the elevator, she shifted in my arms and snuggled more into me. Her breath tickled the skin peeking out through my collar and I fought the urge to sniff her silky hair.

I somehow managed to take her to the parking lot. Balancing her on one hand, I opened the door of the car with the other and placed her on the passenger seat. While I leaned towards her to fasten her seat belt, my gaze landed on her slightly parted mouth that made her look adorable.

Her lips always looked so glossy, so inviting and so did the rest of her. Soft blush was dusted all over her cheeks and a hint of her dimples was visible. Extending my arm, I tucked some of her hair behind her ear and for a very brief moment, my finger lingered on her jaw while I observed her keenly.

But before I could move my finger closer to the pout formed my her lips, she started shifting in the seat. I pulled back and closed the door, making my way to the driver seat.

By the time I seated inside, she had woken up and was now looking around in confusion. Her messy hair and the disoriented look on her face made her look very cute.

"Next time, don't sleep in my chair." I said and she narrowed her eyes.

"Next time, don't leave me in your office for hours." she retorted.

"Whatever you say," I sarcastically added and started driving the car. She rested her head back and kept looking at the deserted roads through the glass door. The silence prevailed in the car was comforting and the only sound that could be heard was her soft breathing.

.........

After changing into a T-shirt and trouser, I walked out of the bathroom. She was already sitting on the bed, reading something. A tray containing two cups of coffee was placed in the middle of the bed.

Picking up my laptop, I went towards the bed and jumped inside the blanket. The weather was freezing cold tonight and the coffee looked extra appetising. Deciding to have coffee first, I put the laptop aside and gripped the warm cup in my hands.

The first sip washed away all my exhaustion. I closed my eyes and rested my head back against the headboard. While doing so, I felt her eyes on me. Whenever she looks at me like that, she makes me feel emotions I don't want to feel. It reminds me of the time when Eliza used to look at me like this and her memory only brings back grief for me.

"Evan," Scarlet called my name and I looked at her. "Geena told me that it's Cara's birthday this Sunday. Have you planned anything?" she said.

The pain became too much to bear on hearing this and I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. "No, we don't celebrate that day."

"But why?" she asked in annoyed voice.

My eyes zeroed into her almond, brown eyes as I tightened my grip on the cup. "Because the day Cara born, Eliza died. Is that reason enough?" I spat in anger.

She got silent on hearing that. Pity filled her warm eyes and she contemplated what to do or say now.

"But... It's... It's not fair to her." she whispered meekly. "Every kid deserves to have their birthdays celebrated so they won't feel left out."

Putting the cup back in the tray, I rose to sitting position and leaned closer to her until my face was few inches away from her face. "Who said life is fair? If it was fair, she won't have died and we would still be together. I would be sitting here with her, not you." I said and she gulped, her eyes switching between my eyes and my mouth.

"I..."

"We live in a fucked up, brutal world princess. Wake up and look beyond your life filled with cupcakes and positivity." I gritted and her face contorted at my tone. Suddenly, huge teardrops accumulated in her big, brown eyes and then streamed down her pale cheeks.

Her tears brought me back from the well of anger and I regretted being harsh to her. Her lower lip trembled slightly and she pulled herself away from me.

"I will sleep with Cara." she said and picked up her pillow, refusing to look into my eyes.

"Scarlet, come back." I said but she didn't listen. Instead, she walked out of the door and closed it with a thud behind herself.

Shit.

________________________

Is Evan being a dick?