33. All The Broken Promises

Scarlet

The driver stopped the car in front of a mansion after the drive of half an hour. The mansion illuminated by hundreds of lights was visible from the end of the road. There was a huge crowd in front of the house that elevated my social anxiety a little.

The driver opened the door for me and I gripped my dress before stepping out. Evan reached me and then placed his arm on my waist, his warmth seeping through the thin fabric of the dress.

"Smile," he leaned down and whispered in my ears. He had guessed my nervousness which was probably dripping from my face. Nodding, I stretched my lips into a forced smile and together, we made our way inside.

The hall was filled with people dressed in their best. This was not my type of party. My type was more of a low-budget party with chicken tenders as food and everyone playing funny games and laughing around.

"Mr. Parker." A man came towards us to shake Evan's hand. He was a tall, broad man with salt and pepper hair and a light beard.

"Mr. Glenn," Evan shook his hand. "Meet my lovely wife, Scarlet," he smiled at me and then pulled me close to him. His masculine scent filled me and I inhaled deeply.

"Mrs. Parker, you look absolutely mesmerising." he said. I extended my arm and he leaned down to kiss the back of my hand.

"You both enjoy the party. If you need anything, I'm here. I'll go check on other guests." he said in a pleading tone and then left.

I pulled myself away from Evan and recreated the distance between us, which earned me a scowl from him.

One by one, many people came to meet us. They all praised us and specifically me; some on the dress, some on my beauty, some on my smile. I don't know if those praises were fake or not but they succeeded in making me blush.

"Why is everyone being so nice with us?" I asked him once we were at the food corner.

"You are married to a successful businessman. You should get used to it." he said and placed prawns in his plate.

"Wow, do they know a 'successul businessman' like you is an ass inside the house?" I said and his hands stopped in the plate.

He lifted his head and narrowed his eyes at me. "When am I an ass?" he glowered.

"Always." I shrugged and put a sandwich in my plate.

"Give me an instance, dear." he cocked his head to a side and asked.

"Well, for example, just before leaving for the party." I stated honestly and his frown deepened.

He was about to ask further when one of the women I met before came and took me along her. She took me to a group of ladies, all of which were talking about different designers and jewelers.

"Your dress looks amazing. Is it designer?" One woman asked.

"Um... Yeah." I said and remembered how Nate practically dragged me to a boutique. Guess I should thank him for that.

"Your skin looks flawless. What products do you use?" Another woman asked.

"I... I use soap." I said honestly and they all started grinning at my answer.

"Are these real diamonds?" The first woman asked me, pointing at the necklace.

"Um... I don't know." I shrugged nervously. "Evan gave me this."

"I'm sure it is real. The sparkle gives it away." A blonde woman said.

"Maybe." I replied uncomfortably.