17. Of New Friendships

Scarlet

Helena was much more than just a pretty face. She was a funny and smart girl who made me laugh more than I have in the whole week.

"And guess what? When Evan came to know that I was high on weed the whole meeting, he gave me silent treatment the whole week." she laughed and I did the same.

"I can imagine him doing that." I said, controlling my chuckles. She was telling me funny stories of the time she had worked with Evan and most of them involved her pissing him off.

She sighed, holding her stomach. "He is a tough nut to crack." she said.

I nodded in agreement. "Helena, did you know Eliza?" I asked. I had been curious about her but asking Evan or Catheryn didn't sound like a great idea.

"Yeah, we were not very close but yeah, I knew her." she said, taking another bite of the cookies.

"How was she?" I asked to curb my curiosity.

The smile wiped off her face and grief replaced it. "She was amazing. Very lively, very fun. She knew how to make a person jump out of his comfort zone." she told me.

"That's what she did to Evan?" I said, imagining such a scene. I would never dare to force Evan to do anything.

"Yes. Evan wasn't dry or workaholic back then. He was happy and very much in love. The way his eyes shimmered whenever he looked at her was amazing." she said.

I don't know why but I felt a little jealous. I knew there was no such thing as love between Evan and me but a part of me wanted him to look at me like that too. I wanted to make him happy, like he used to be.

"Don't worry, Scarlet. Time heals everything. I am sure time would teach him to love again." she said and I felt surprised at how mature she sounded, unlike that girl talking to me few minute ago.

"I... I am just here for Cara. Evan can do whatever he wants, as long as he isn't hurting her with his behaviour." I said but a part of me knew I was lying. There was something about Evan that keeps me interested in him.

"If you say so." she smirked.

Taking one last sip of her coffee, she stood up to leave. "It was nice talking to you." she said, pulling me in for a hug while I stood awkwardly. "Time to go back to your rude husband."

"Wait, can you please wait a minute?" I asked and she nodded. I went back to the kitchen and packed a slice of walnut pie in a box. I went outside and extended the box to her, "Can you give this to Evan? He didn't have breakfast today and I am sure he wouldn't have wasted any time in eating anything."

"I can give it to him." she said, taking it from my hand. "But I have a better idea. Come on, why don't you join me to his office?"

"I don't think he would like that." I said, worrying of his possible reaction. He would definitely not like me coming to his office without informing him beforehand.

"Oh, come on. Don't be afraid of him. He won't eat you, he is not a monster." she insisted. I didn't feel good refusing her but I couldn't exactly agree to it. What should I do then?

"I..."

"Pretty please," she pouted and I felt bad for making her disappointed.

"Okay," I agreed at last.

..........

Last time I was here in his office, Evan had insulted me and I had stomped out in anger. Now I was back here and I don't know if his reaction would be any different.