53. Life Without Her

Evan

After tucking Cara under the blanket, I turned off the lights of her room and slowly trudged back to mine. While I was in the hospital, I didn't have time to think about Scarlet's absence but inside the house, every corner reminds me of her. Everyone else was still here but this house felt no more a home.

Even my own room was not mine anymore. It was Scarlet who infused color in my black and white life and without her, everything was back to being dull and lifeless.

The silence of the room irked me and I went into the closet to change into a trouser. When my gaze landed on her side of the closet, I felt a sharp pang inside my chest. The colorful dresses contrasted perfectly with my dark colored side, just like our relationship.

I picked a scarf of her and inhaled it, feeling her familiar, soothing scent. Today, when she asked me if I needed her, I wanted to say yes. I wanted to admit that I needed her desperately but I couldn't. Something stopped me from admitting that.

I was angry at her few days ago, for letting that accident happen although it wasn't her fault, for choosing to stay with Nate although she didn't have any other option. But once my head started to clear up, I realized how stupid I really was. I hurt that girl who sacrificed her happiness for my daughter. She deserved better than this.

When she said she needed some time apart, it broke my heart. I pushed her to a point where being with me was not a good option for her. I was willing to give her all the time she wanted but I didn't want to spend a minutes without her. I wanted my wife back. I needed my Scarlet back.

With that thought in mind, I went back to the bed. Her thoughts kept me occupied and the thought of her talking to Nate, laughing with him, laughing at something he said, it churned my stomach. She was my responsibility and I asked her to go, not realising where she would go after leaving. She was right; our relationship shouldn't have been this fragile. It was my fault she was staying at Nate's apartment right now.

I was willing to give her few days if that's what she wanted, not matter how much it hurts me because I was the one who caused this. I was at fault here.

............

"Listen Gabe and listen carefully, I want you to bring all my work schedule, files and planners to my house. I want you to inform all the clients that I'll be dealing with them from home. Until Cara is fit again, I won't be coming to office. Understand?" I said to my secretary over the phone.

"Yes, sir," he said. I cut the call and put the mobile back in my pocket.

I made my way to Cara's room to wake her up. When I entered inside, she was already awake and now Geena was combing her hair carefully, to avoid hurting her bandages.

"Good morning princess, have you brushed your teeth?" I asked, smiling.

"Yes," she grinned and tried to stood up. I went to her and helped her stand on her own, supporting her arms with my hands. I led her outside to the dining table where Kelly was serving the breakfast.

"Pancakes!" She exclaimed when she noticed the stack of pancakes. I specifically asked Kelly to make her favourite breakfast because it was her first day back home and she needed a break from those tasteless food.

I seated her on the chair and sat down beside her. Because her one arm was still bruised, I cut the pancakes into small parts for her and then handed her the fork. Then I focused my attention on the plate in front of me.

Kelly was a great cook but I was used to eating breakfast cooked by Scarlet now. The omelet didn't taste half as good as she made and even the coffee felt too sweet for my taste. Although it was Kelly who had been cooking for me for years now, Scarlet had made me crazy for her food in just few months.

God, I miss her.

"Do you like your breakfast?" I asked.

She looked around to see if anybody was hearing her and then whispered, "It's not like Mama's pancakes."

I smiled because she was right. Scarlet has magic in her hands. "I know," I whispered back.

"Why is Mama angry at you?" She asked, pouting in a cute manner.

"Because Daddy is stupid and he made a mistake." I admitted. Her eyebrows furrowed and the corners of her lips turned downwards.

"Will she be back soon?" She asked.

"She will be, I promise." I said and a smile appeared on her face.

..........

At almost 12, Gabe came with all the work assessories he could fit in his car. I took him to the study room with me and he briefed me about all the work I had missed in the last few days.

I began working to cover all the lags of the passing days. After every hour, I took a small break to check on Cara if she was doing fine or if she needed anything. I was not going to repeat the mistake of prioritizing my work over her. This time, I will learn how to balance between my work and family. Those who are dear to me won't have to suffer because I was apparently too busy for them.

It was about 6 when I sent Gabe home. Shutting the door to the study room, I made my way to the lounge where Cara was watching a movie with Geena. I gave Geena off as well and sat down beside Cara to spend some time with her.

"How was your first day back from hospital?" I asked, zooming my eyes on the screen where a Barbie movie was playing, in which a girl with ridiculously long hair was acting all crazy and stupid.

"Good. But I missed mama." She pouted.

"I missed mama too." I smiled and pushed back her hair gently. "Does it hurt?"

"A little," she whispered.

"It will be okay soon," I told her and kissed her forehead.

We shifted our attention back to the television screen and I watched the whole movie with her, despite the skyrocketing level of cringe in it.

It was about 7:30 when someone called on my phone. My eyes widened when Scarlet's name appeared on the screen. Exhaling a deep sigh, I answered the call and her saccharine voice replied from the other side.

"I... I wanted to talk to Cara. Geena wasn't answering." She said in her sweet voice.

"Sure," I said and passed the phone to Cara. Her face brightened up when she talked to Scarlet and her expression brought a smile on my face.

They kept talking for some fifteen minutes after which Cara gave me the phone back. She hasn't ended the call yet so I walked away from the couch and spoke into the phone, "How are you?"

"I am fine." She whispered.

"Scarlet," I gulped nervously, as if I was back to college days, talking to my crush on phone and panicking. "Would you come for dinner tomorrow? Cara would love to spend some time with you."

"I... Um... I don't think I should." She stuttered in response.

"Please," I muttered under my breath.

She stayed silent for a moment, after which her meek voice appeared. "Okay."

A smile made its way to my lips after I ended the call. I wanted her back and I was willing to show her how much I wanted that.

____________________________