37. Symphony Of Love

‼️‼️(Listen to this song when the lyrics appears in this chapter.)

Scarlet

I was sleeping peacefully, lost in the world of my dreams when the constant shifting on the bed disturbed my calm. Groaning, I opened my eyes to narrowed slits and found Evan propped up on the bed, his head resting in his hands.

I picked up my mobile and saw the time on the phone. It was 4 in the morning and darkness was spreaded all around the room. I had no idea what Evan was doing up at this time of the night.

"Hey," I whispered and he raised his head.

"Hey," he said, his voice sounded exhausted.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Nothing. Just go back to sleep." he said and lay down again to rest his head over the pillow.

I tried to go back to sleep as he said but the anxious look on his face made me restless as well. A frown was etched on his face and a thin layer of sweat was covering his forehead.

"You can tell me anything, Evan. I am your friend." I said, still lying on the bed, my body turned towards him.

"Friend?" he smiled at this. "I don't do friendships. Helena is enough of a headache for me."

"Well, unfortunately, you have a very friendly wife. Now come on, tell me, what's on your mind?" I asked, scooting closer to him. No matter how much he tries, he was still a closed shell and it would take everything in me to open him up.

"Nothing unusual." he sighed.

"What do you mean?" I asked further.

"I often wake up in the middle of night and then fail to sleep again. Happens most nights in the week." he said and exhaled loudly.

"Oh," I whispered. This was not the first time I had noticed him awake in the middle of the night but I didn't know it was a regular thing.

"You can go to sleep. I am used to waking up early. Don't worry." he said and rested his arm over his eyes.

"How can I not worry?" I whispered. "Believe it or not, I care about you."

"Believe it or not, I believe you." he said casually and warmth filled me at this.

I scooted closer to him and the movement caused him to take his arm off his eyes. He turned to look at me with his expressive eyes that were filled with confusion. I don't know why but at that moment, he looked so vulnerable that the urge to kiss him overwhelmed me.

"Close your eyes." I said, propping my head up with my elbow.

"Why? Are you going to sing me a lullaby?" he said with a smirk on his face.

"Maybe," I shrugged and then ordered, "Now close your eyes."

Shaking his head, he did what I said. Smiling at how long his lashes were, I extended my hand and rested it over his forehead.

"What are---"

"Ssshhh," I put a finger on his lips. When he was silence, I took the hand back to his forehead and massaged gently with the pore of my fingers.

🎶Hold me close and hold me fast
The magic spell you cast
This is la vie en rose🎶

I sang the lyrics of the most calming song I have ever heard. My mother used to sing it to me whenever I was stressed out and couldn't sleep because of exams. It never failed to release all the tension from my body.