26. The Fluttering Of Heart

Scarlet

I was sitting on the passenger seat of Evan's car. The inside of the car was silent, except the sound produced by the car. After every few minutes, Evan would say something to initiate the small talk but I just responded in one letter word. I wasn't doing this to earn an apology; I just didn't want to.

"What's your favourite food?" he said. He was wearing a dark blue suit tonight and he looked amazing in it. It took me every inch of control to not stare at him like a creep.

"Pasta," I said briefly.

"What do you like in desserts then?" he asked further. That's what he was doing for last half an hour.

"Nothing." I said.

"Nothing? You are a Baker. I'm sure you must have some favourite dessert." he said and I felt his eyes on me.

"Pie." I said.

"What kind of pie?" he asked.

"Every kind." I replied.

He must have realised that I wasn't in mood of talking so he didn't ask anything further. The rest of the ride went silent until he stopped the car in the parking lot of a huge restaurant.

Once I walked inside, I couldn't help but gawk around in surprise. This place was bigger than any restuarnt I have been, and much more fancier. I felt Evan's hand on my waist as he led me inside. He had already made a reservation and the receptionist guided us to the elevator. It took us to the rooftop where at a corner, a table had been set up for us. It was a secluded corner and it would have been very exciting if I was here with someone that had a romantic bone in his body.

Evan pulled the seat for me and then settled in front of me. The waiter passed us a menu card, after which he left so we can decide.

"The steaks here is amazing." he said, assessing the options.

"Okay," I nodded and when the waiter came, ordered black pepper steak for myself. Evan had ordered the same.

After the waiter left, I looked around myself. The weather here was perfect and the inbuilt fireplace in the middle of the floor helped calm the cold. The dark sky provided a certain sense of calmth that an indoor setting couldn't provide.

My eyes shifted to Evan and I found him staring at me with a weird expression on his face. "What?" I asked.

"Will you stop acting? I know you're angry at me." he mumbled as he leaned forwards.

"I am not," I said and he rolled his eyes.

"Lies."

"No, I'm not lying. I am not angry, just upset." I replied what I felt. "I don't think I have any right to feel angry at you."

A frown appeared on his forehead at this. He became silent and looked away from my face, focusing his eyes at a distance.

The waiter served the dinner and it went in silence, neither of us saying anything. I didn't want to initiate the conversation because I couldn't figure out if he was angry, disappointed, hurt or just normal. After dinner, the waiter asked if we wanted dessert but he refused and paid for the food.

Disappointment filled me at how he wasn't talking to me. For some reason, I expected him to apologise for last night but he didn't. I kept following him until we reached the car and I walked towards the passenger seat.

"Don't," he said and my hands stopped before I could reach the knob. "Let's take a walk."

I followed him as he made his way out of the parking lot. Cold air hit me and I trembled slightly, the sleeveless dress failing to provide me any comfort. When he noticed my shivering, he stopped and took off his blazer. Walking behind me, he offered me his blazer and I accepted, and slipped into it.

"Thanks," I said. His warmth and scent lingered around me as I hugged the blue blazer closer. We walked forwards and my hair ruffled because of the wind.

We were walking on an empty road, with not even a car driving down there. It was comforting in a way, walking alone on the deserted road in such a beautiful night, with the full moon casting its shadow over us. This was my idea for a perfect date; me, a guy and silence.

The only shop that we found on the road was a hot chocolate shop. He stopped there and ordered two cups for us. The kind vendor passed us two steaming cups of hot chocolate which I took gladly.

After he paid, we walked past the shop and once again contineud walking on the empty road. Once the hot chocolate entered my mouth, I sighed deeply at the warm and sweet taste.

"I don't know how to do this anymore," he whispered while we were walking. "I am sorry I couldn't be the husband you want."

I had no idea how to respond so I kept my mouth shut and listened to him. "You are a genuinely nice person, Scarlet. I have met a lot of people but nobody is good or selfless enough to sacrifice their lives for a girl they had known for few months. I acknowledge your sacrifice a lot and I wish I could pay you back somehow."

"You can be nice and it will be enough." I whispered as I took another sip of the heavenly liquid.

"I don't know how to be nice anymore. But God knows I am trying." he said in a voice that sounded both tired and frustrated. "You deserve better than just trying and I know that. I know one day you will find the love of your life and leave. But till then, you are stuck with me--- A rude, dry and boring workaholic."

His words brought a smile to my face but with that smile, came a fear. I couldn't see myself with anyone other than him and the thought was terrifying.

"I know that tomorrow, I'll probably be back to my shell and then, maybe I'll hurt you again, knowingly or unknowingly. But I don't want you to feel that I am using you in any way because I would never do that." he said and then stopped in his tracks.

I stopped as well and turned to his side. His face was shining under the moonlight and his blue eyes were staring at me, as if looking straight into my soul.

"What happened last night was a mistake, by me. I don't want to give you any false hopes because there will never be anything between us. You deserve the world but I had already given my world to someone else." he whispered and the corners of my lips turned downwards. At that moment, I wanted nothing more than hug him and tell me that I doesn't need the world.

He then cupped my chin and scooted closer to me. "Can you forgive me for making your life a mess?" he whispered so gently that I almost melted.

I gulped and my eyes trailed down his perfect nose and rested on his plump lips. The urge to kiss him overwhelmed me but I didn't want to be embarrassed like yesterday. "Okay," I whispered.

He smiled and then he lowered his head. On instincts, my eyes closed and I felt his lips, but not where I wanted. Instead, it was a peck on my forehead; a gentle, kind and friendly peck.

"Let's go back. Looks like it's going to rain soon." he said when he pulled away. I nodded, ignoring my heart that was still pounding inside my chest.

What's happening to me? Why am I feeling so many things all of sudden? Why is my heart fluttering and why are there butterflies in my stomach?

__________________________

What's happening to Scarlet? :p :p
We all know that.