61. Nine Months Of Hell

Evan

Pregnancy is the most beautiful experience of a woman's life, as some would say. A pregnant woman is nature's most beautiful entity; she has a life growing inside her womb which is no less than a miracle. A man would do anything for the woman who gives birth to his child and a true man would stand by her woman throughout the pregnancy, to share her pain as much as possible.

That explains why for nine months, I bore the torture that came with the pregnancy, without any complain. Scarlet's mood swings were the most difficult thing I have ever been through in my life, and I have been through a lot of bad things. Pregnancy has turned the sweetest angel I have ever seen to an emotional wreck. And it makes me want to do a vasectomy as soon as she is back to her non-pregnant self.

..........

Day 30 of pregnancy

We got to know about her pregnancy a week earlier. According to the schedule that the obstretician had given us, this was the fifth week of her pregnancy.

On returning from the doctor, I made her eat her dinner and then we both went straight to bed. I have been avoiding coffee with her, because I know she would get tempted by seeing me drinking it. Due to no caffeine in my system, sleep easily came to me until sound of silent sobs woke me up.

I opened my eyes and found Scarlet sitting on the bed, hugging her knees, her brown eyes filled with unshed tears.

"God, what happened?" I rose to sitting position and scooted beside her. "Why are you crying?"

"I don't know." She said, rubbing her eyes.

"Huh? You don't know?" I asked in confusion.

"I don't know, Evan. I can't sleep and I just want to cry the whole night." She said and another tear streamed down her cheeks.

"Oh. Do you need anything?" I asked.

"No," she pouted and sobbed again.

The doctor had already warned me that sometimes, a pregnant woman can experience emotional instabilities and I should just be calm with her.

Sighing, I pulled her towards me into a hug. Rubbing her shoulders gently, I whispered, "You can cry as much as you want."

I let her sit there while she cried her heart out. I felt wetness all over my chest as I continued massaging her back with my fingers. It was half an hour later when her sobs stopped and her breathing turned shallower. Once I was sure she was asleep, I lay her back on the bed and lay down beside her.

............

Day 51 of pregnancy

In the middle of night, a hand touched my arm and shook me slightly. I knew it was Scarlet and I knew what she wanted. I regularly wake up in the middle of the night and find her awake. Some nights, she is too excited to have a baby and some nights, she is too emotional on going through this process.

Tonight, when I woke up, she looked neither too happy, nor too sad. "What happened babe?" I asked, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand.

"I didn't want to disturb you but..."

"But?"

"I am craving for a cheeseburger real bad." She said, looking distressed for waking me up from my night.

"But you don't even like cheeseburger." I said in confusion.

"Well, your baby does." She scowled.