Part 9: The Secret

POV: Katie

I pulled away from Travis. "Travis...." I looked at my feet.

"Hey," Travis said gently, "what's wrong?"

"So we are dating now, right?" I asked. I still didn't look up.

"If you want to," I felt his hands on my shoulders.

"I do. But..." I paused.

"But you want to keep it secret," I could tell he really didn't like the idea. He took his hands from my shoulders.

"Travis..." I met his eyes.

"Katie..." I saw the sadness in his eyes, "please. No. I want people to know about us..."

I don't. I thought.

"Travis," I said sternly, "do you know how tormented I would be? My siblings..." I stopped, not wanting to finish my sentence. I loved my siblings, but they could be mean.

"Your siblings will what?" There was anger in his voice now. "Tell you to not date me?"

I started to protest, "Travis! You're not being fair!"

"Katie!" Travis folded his arms across his chest, "I'm not being fair?!" He laughed a bit, "You're the one who wants to keep us a secret! I can't do that!"

"Fine." I walked around him. "Then we won't."

"Katie! We won't what?" Travis caught my arm and spun me back to him

I forced myself out of his arms, "We won't date. That way you don't have to keep us a secret. There wouldn't be an 'us'." I used air quotes on the word 'us'.

Travis let my arm go. He looked like he was about to cry. I felt the same way, but I didn't show it.  "Fine...."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"I'll keep us a secret..." he looked down, sadly.

I saw how sad he was. "No."

"What?" Now it was Travis's turn to be confused.

"You don't have to keep us a secret," I put my hand against his cheek. "I'm just scared..."

Travis kisses my head, "it'll be ok."

I smiled and hugged him. "I know."

I yawned. Travis looked at the clock, "holy hades it's late. We should be getting to bed."

I nod.

"Want to come..." he stopped. 

"Come where?" I held his hands.

"Comesleepinmycabinwithme?" I laughed. I understood him.

"Sure..." I blushed.

Travis grinned and led me to his cabin.

"Travis..."

"Hmm?" Travis pulled something shorts out of his dresser. He had his own room since he was head counselor.

"I don't have pajamas..." I blushed.

"Let me steal some leggings from one of my sisters. And you can use one my shirts. They are in the 2nd drawer," Travis ran out, quietly and silently.

I walked over to his dresser and pulled out a dark blue shirt. I started to get cold so I stole one of his hoodies. It smelled so good.

Travis came back in, grinning, "Katie-kat, catch," he chucked the leggings at me.

I blushed. I needed to get dressed and he was still in here, "um Travis...."

"Yeah," he smiled.

"Turn around please...."

Travis nodded and turned. I shyly pulled the shirt on. Then the leggings. And finally, the hoodie.

"Ok. You can turn back around," I said. Then I climbed into his bed. It was so warm.

Travis took his shirt off and climbed in next to me.

"Travis, do you always sleep without a shirt? It's really cold," I asked him.

"Yeah. Do you have a problem with it?" He smirked.

"Shut up," I shoved his chest.

I snuggled closer to him. I felt his arm circle my waist. I have never felt more comfortable with anyone.

I took a deep breath and started to fall asleep.

I really, really liked that!  It was really fun to write!

-Katie Taylor, Author

(Word Count: 596)