Part 27: Sick

POV: Travis

I love my new sister. But she makes me sad. I miss my Katie. I have to protect my new sister, Katie though. I can't lose her again.

I decided to get out of bed and wake the rest of my siblings. Little Katie had crawled into my bed last night. I brushed hair out of her face. She was really warm. Her forehead burned my hand. She had a fever.

I quickly woke my siblings then took Katie to the infirmary. She was crying.

"Travis..." she whined, "I don't feel good..."

"I know," I whispered to her, "Go back to sleep."

She nodded and fell back asleep.

"Will!" I whisper shouted.

"Travis? What's up?"

"My sister... she woke up with a really bad fever and she was complaining she wasn't feeling good..."

"Ok. Travis, you need to calm down. Put her on a cot and we'll figure out what's wrong, ok?"

I nodded then gently placed my little sister on a cot.

I watched as Will ran some tests.

"Um Travis...."

"What?" I demanded, "Is she ok?"

"No. She has COVID. I'm not sure what's going to happen to her. But, we have to quarantine her, you, and the entire camp. I'll inform Chiron."

I put my head in my hands.  Katie had had a cough for a few days, but none of us were worried. Now, I was.

Katie started coughing. I held her close and rubbed her back as she coughed.

"It hurts..." she wheezed.

"I know..." I held back tears. Katie apparently had asthma so I was really worried about her. "Just keep breathing...."

She nodded and kept coughing. I kissed her head.

After a while, Will came back in and moved us to a separate room. He gave Katie a respirator so she might be able to breathe a bit better.

Soon, Katie fell back asleep. And Will came in.

"Travis," Will started, "there's a chance Katie might not survive this... because of her asthma..."

"No... I can't lose her! Not again!"

"Travis, you have to understand that this is really dangerous for her."

"I know.."

"Get some sleep," Will told me.

I obeyed.   

Here you go my lovely readers.  It has been a while.
-Katie Taylor, Author
(Word Count: 361)