Part 28: Gone

POV: Travis

I sat with my little sister as she coughed. She couldn't stop. Nothing seemed to be helping.

"Ow....." she cried, "Travis... it hurts..."

I wiped her tears from her cheeks, "I know, Katie-kat... I know..." I held back my tears.

I was relieved when Katie finally fell asleep.

Then Will came in.

"Travis, she isn't getting better," Will stated.

"I know..."

That was the end of that conversation. There wasn't anything either of us could do to help her.

——————Time skip—————-

It was about midnight when Katie's heart monitor made a loud and long buzz.

I shot up in my bed as Will rushed in.

"Is she...?" I asked. I didn't finish the question.

Will nodded.

I screamed. I screamed for Katie. I had lost her twice. She came back to me but I lost her again.

I am such a failure. I buried my head in my hands and cried.

I felt Will press a hand to my shoulder as he whispered something.

Then, everything went black as I fell asleep.

That night, my dreams weren't like the usual ones. My Katie visited me in my dream.

"Travis, it's time, love," she spoke softly as she sat on my bed. She combed her fingers through her hair.

"What? Katie? What is it time for?" I asked her as I grabbed her hand and pressed it to my lips.

"You know," she replied.

Katie stood up and walked out of the room. I followed. I looked back at my bed and saw my body.

It was time for me to die.

Hope I didn't make you cry.
That's a lie. Sorry.
-Katie Taylor, Author
(Word Count: 264)