I should have sat down when he told me to, because right now, I think I might just pass out.

"Who are you, and how do you know about my parents?", I ask him sounding composed when deep down, I was freaking out and hoping this is a joke and the only way he knows about my parents is because he read about their death or something.

"I can't really tell you that right now, but we need to meet tonight after your shift and I can explain about your parents". He says, standing up.

"Okay, meet where?, how do I find you?"

"I'll call you and let you know" he states and walks out before I even have a chance to ask how he has my number.

I don't move from where I'm standing, until Derrick shouts my name and orders me to another table. For the rest of my shift, I don't focus because I keep thinking about what that man said. I mean it's crazy that a man I have never met, knows about my parents' death and apparently the real story behind it.

I mean I shouldn't even believe it or pay it any attention, he could be lying for all I know. But then thinking about it now, their deaths were a little strange, it was a home invasion and nothing was taken, and besides that every time I ask the detective in charge of their case about it , he always brushes me off and tells me not to worry about it. It's been four years now, and there hasn't been any updates about the people who killed my parents

It's like I can't even catch a break, just when I thought things would go back to normal, the universe decides that I haven't gone through enough already!
After my shift, I call Patricia informing her that I'd be a little late in picking up Max. Just as I walk out the restaurant, my phone begins to ring, I answer with my hands shaking.

"Hello?"

"Meet me at O'connors in ten minutes", he says and before I could respond he hangs up.
Great, just great. I walk into my car, and drive off to O'connors. When I get there, I look around for the man from earlier and I can't find him, there are only a few people here, so I just head over to a booth to wait, I sit with my phone in my hands, in case he calls back.

He calls me here and doesn't even bother to get here on time!! This isn't how my day was supposed to go, heck this isn't how my life was supposed to go.
I was supposed to go to college and then graduate with my degree in Psychology and then move out of my parents' house, and probably get a dog named Coco. But apparently that wasn't happening anytime soon.
I look up and see the man walking towards me, he's now wearing a casual jeans and a black trench coat, with a beanie.

He sits down once he gets to the booth.
"Okay, what the hell is going on?" I ask without hesitating.

"Look, your mom got some really powerful people angry, and your dad wasn't supposed to be home that night, your mom was the only one intended to die that night"

Oh great, that makes everything so much better. "What does that even mean?" I ask instead.

"Your mom, Cara was working on a cure to a disease that a lot of people didn't want her to find", he says looking at me as if to give him permission to continue, I just nod and he continues. "She insisted that she would find it even after the warnings that I gave her".

"Wait, you actually knew my mom?" I ask him cutting him off.

"Yes, I was her partner in the project. While we were doing our research, we were warned to stay clear of the project, but we continued with the research, until our funds were cut off, Cara said she wasn't going to stop, she insisted that if a lot of people were against finding the cure, then that meant the project was something huge" He finishes off.

My throat is dry and I have no idea how to digest this information, as if he notices, he orders me a glass of water, when the water arrives, I gulp the entire glass of water without thinking.

"Look, I'm sorry. I understand that this might be a lot for you to take in", the man says.

"Erm what's your name?" I ask him.

"Richard, my name's Richard"

"So, how are you still alive?, I mean if you both were doing the research?" I mumble

"I stopped, they threatened to kill my family, and believe me I warned Cara to stop, but she just wouldn't listen".

Typical mom, she had always been stubborn and now look where that got her.

"So you're saying, my parents are dead because of a science project?", I say in utter disgust.
"It wasn't just a science project, it was more than that , it was a cure that could save millions of lives". He states

"Yes, but now she's dead, they're dead", I retort. I look at the time and see that I'm already late to pick up Max.
"Look, I have to go but we need to finish this, I have a lot of questions and I need you to answer them". I tell him.

"Okay sure, you have my number, call me anytime and please be careful", Richard says.

"I've been fine for four years now, but thank you", and with that I leave the restaurant.

I get into my car, and drive off. Over the years, I've mastered the art of concealing my feelings, but now I just want to punch something. I'm so angry. I'm angry at my mom, I mean why didn't she just stop with the research. My mom had always had this notion of saving the world with her inventions and stuff, while I respect that, I wish that just this one time, she actually stopped with this research, If she had, I'd still have both my parents alive,I'd still be in school and I'll definitely not have to withstand Derrick and his shitty attitude.

I reach the Dohan residence, and pick up Max; he's running into the car smiling. "Hey buddy, how was school?", I ask him.

"It was really cool, I finally told Rachael I liked her". Rachael has been Max's crush for as long as I can remember but he's never had the courage to tell her.

"OHHH!! and what did she say?", I ask him genuinely interested.

"She likes me too! Can you believe it, she invited me to her birthday party this weekend. So please can I go?" , Max asks me with his signature puppy eyes

"Sure, I'd drop you off myself".

"Thank you! Thank you!", he squeals in delight. This is why I love spending time with Max because he makes me forget about whatever is going on in my life and after the day I just had, that's exactly what I need.

"How was your day?", he asks me while yawning.

Well, you know I just found out our parents died because of a research our mom was working on, and dad wasn't supposed to die that night. We have no parents cause our mom decided to save the world.

"Nothing new, just work ", I say instead.

"I wish you'd stop working already." He says and when I don't respond he continues "I'm so excited for Saturday, Sam".

"I'm happy for you", I say smiling.

At least one of us is having fun.