Chapter 3

[A few weeks later]

"Hi there!"

A familiar voice emerged from behind me and I twisted myself to face the tall guy standing behind the garden bench that I was sitting on.

"What a pleasant surprise. Why don't you take a seat?" I patted the space beside me. Zayn sat and I heaved a sigh.

"What's the matter? You don't seem the type to sigh for nothing." He looked at me with concern.

"Apparently, Brandon has to teach Tina meaning I have to wait to go home if I want to go with my best friend." I said.

"Wow and you're actually waiting?" Zayn scoffed. "If it was me, I would've already gone home by myself."

"It's too boring. I'd rather wait here till he comes."

"If you want, I can drop you off."

"Really? Wait- no, you must have basketball practices. That would be too much of a burden."

"Nope I just finished my practices. So let's go!" Zayn got up and made me do the same too.

He gave me a boyish grin and started dragging me out of the school grounds. He didn't let me go until I told him I wanted to leave a message for Brandon telling that I left with Zayn. Just when I put my phone back into my pocket, he started dragging me again stopping only to ask directions. I giggled during the whole walk.

"So this Tina," Zayn started, "what do you think of her?"

I was a bit surprised by the sudden question. "She's okay... I guess."

"You guess? That didn't sound good."

"No, it's like..." I hesitated whether or not to speak my true thoughts.

Zayn is a good friend. He'll understand.

"I feel like she's just trying to use Brandon and as his best friend, I don't want that. There's something in Tina that I feel odd." I blurted out.

"Don't worry. I'm sure it's nothing. Keep an eye on her, if you want." He suggested.

I looked at him for sometime and then focused my eyes on the road again. It was quiet until we came to the front porch of my house. I unlocked the door and swung it open. My parents were on a business trip so I was the only one home for some days.

"You wanna come in?" I invited, rather awkwardly because I had never invited anyone to my house other than Brandon. Somehow, I felt close to Zayn as much as to Brandon even though I had spent only a couple of weeks with him.

"Maybe another day." He politely refused. "You seemed to be alone. Where are your parents?"

"They're on a business trip but it's okay I've been alone before. I can manage." I said hastily and smiled.

"Then call me if anything happens." Zayn took out a pen from his pocket and pulled my arm before scribbling something along my skin. "I live only a few blocks away so I'd be able to sprint here within three minutes. I've a family gathering today so I can't stay with you, I'm sorry."

I examined my arm and saw a phone number written there with a wink-y face next to it. A smiled formed on my face at the sight of it.

"See you at school then." Zayn retreated, waving at me as I returned the gesture with a smile.

After his figure disappeared at the corner of the road, I went inside and locked the front door. I saved Zayn's phone number into my phone and sent him a text so he'd have my number as well. Sighing heavily I climbed up the stairs into my room and changed my clothes into a pajama and took out my phone. There wasn't a single message from Brandon.

Could he be still teaching Tina? He hasn't even read my text.

I switched off my phone so it won't disturb me and put it away. Hopping onto my bed and hugging a pillow, I closed my eyes to get some sleep.

I was woken up by loud thuds coming from downstairs. I didn't know how much time I had slept until I checked my clock. It was 6.20 in the evening. I had slept for a more than two hours. The bangs were still echoing and blood turned a little cold, I sneaked down and picked up a skillet from the kitchen before going to the front door.

"KARA OPEN DOOR FOR GOD'S SAKE!! KARA!!!"

Brandon's voice screamed from the other side and I quickly opened the door scared as hell at the thought of my best friend in some trouble. He was about to bang the door again but seeing me standing there widen his eyes.

Then suddenly he hugged me so tightly that I was almost out of breath. It got me frozen for some seconds but I patted Brandon's back to signal him to release me before I pass out. He pulled away and looked at me with concern while I tried to inhale loads of oxygen. I hadn't seen him like that since that incident when he was seven.

"You okay?" I asked, worried about him.

"What the heck were you doing dumbass?! I couldn't reach your phone! Dad told me your parents went on a business trip and you're home alone again!! Do you know how scared I was?! And who knows what that Zayn guy is like. You should be more careful of people!" He shouted at the top of his lungs, throwing his hands in the air in frustration. This was the first time I had seen him going off like this in a long time.

"I'm okay Brandon." I said softly, scared that he would shout at me again if I talked in a louder voice. "I'm sorry to scare you like that. I was sleeping and my phone is switched off."

"Whatever now I'm staying here for the night." He slouched down on the couch. I closed the door and went to join him in the living room. "I'm sorry I shouted at you I was just scared that something might've happened to you." He apologized.

"It's okay." I reassured him with a slight smile, happy that he's back to normal. "You should tell your dad you're staying here."

"I already told him when he said you're home alone. He was the one suggested it actually." Brandon said and lied down on the couch.

I went to the kitchen to get something for us to eat. After searching for almost fifteen minutes, I managed to hunt some snacks which were hidden behind some pots and pans in the pantry.

I sat on the floor at the foot of the couch that Brandon was in and turned on the TV. Brandon bent down and shoved a handful of cheeseballs into his mouth. I watched him munch on it staring at the ceiling. He seemed bothered about something. Finally, his eyes turned to me and he looked serious.

"Kara, you're my best friend right?"

"Umm yeah?"

"You'd do anything for me, right?"

"As long as it doesn't involve 10 years in prison, yeah."

"Be my experimental girlfriend."